free website stats program 2001 FLHRI has two small problems... | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 FLHRI has two small problems...

warose

First off the rear brake pedal is not returning all of the way. It brakes fine but I kind of need to hook the bottom of it and pull it back up. It's not dragging the brake to the point you'd notice when it's in its half cocked position. Ideas?
Secondly I'm getting a common problem of oil shooting out the breather in the air filter assembly. It did it once, so I changed all the oils and filter to be sure nothing was low or dirty. The engine was slightly low but all and all looked good. I replaced fluids to exact amounts. Ran the bike around gently for 10 miles, checked fluids and perfect. Bikes running perfectly and took it out and maybe a got a little fast on the highway but again PUKE goes the breather. Smoke trailed behind be as it cooked on my pipes, made a mess of the saddlebags and engine, oh and got on my wifes pants (ankle area of her right foot). The pants thing sounds minor but probably going to be the most expensive part in this to have to fix it. Anyway, does it rarely, levels good, maybe when runnig a little harder?, runs fine, exhaust and sound good, no oil lights?

Welcome to the board Warose.

For the oil puking I can offer you sympathy but no solution at this time. I have the identical problem, this weekend the engine started missing and white smoke poured from the exhaust. Thought I had blown it up.

When I get it solved will post back the results.

Last edited:
Remove the brake pedal and lubricate the pivot unless it has a zerk in it.

The oil puking could be oil pump alignment or the umbrella valves in the head. It happens mostly on high speed riding.

The pedal has a zerk and I already hit it with grease. Thanks but I might pull it and check the spring on the master cylinder.

First off the rear brake pedal is not returning all of the way. It brakes fine but I kind of need to hook the bottom of it and pull it back up. It's not dragging the brake to the point you'd notice when it's in its half cocked position. Ideas?
Secondly I'm getting a common problem of oil shooting out the breather in the air filter assembly. It did it once, so I changed all the oils and filter to be sure nothing was low or dirty. The engine was slightly low but all and all looked good. I replaced fluids to exact amounts. Ran the bike around gently for 10 miles, checked fluids and perfect. Bikes running perfectly and took it out and maybe a got a little fast on the highway but again PUKE goes the breather. Smoke trailed behind be as it cooked on my pipes, made a mess of the saddlebags and engine, oh and got on my wifes pants (ankle area of her right foot). The pants thing sounds minor but probably going to be the most expensive part in this to have to fix it. Anyway, does it rarely, levels good, maybe when runnig a little harder?, runs fine, exhaust and sound good, no oil lights?
Had the same problem on my 2000 Ultra. Did the breathers, but did not help. Decided to do the oil pump. Several years back I had a dealer speed shop install gear drive and cams. Thought slight whine I had at start up was the gear drive, so did not worry about it. Well whine had gotten steadily worse and then on long rides started to get more and more oil mist down the side of the bike. New pump now in the bike and the whine is gone. Only have 75 miles on it so far, but no oil on the bike. My thought is they did not do a good job aligning the pump. So pump alignment may very well be your problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'm going to attempt to align the oil pump. I'm now looking for a place to buy Jims USA tools. Any ideas? I plan on buying alignment pins, cam chain tensioner tool with retioner pins, sprocket lock. 1283-1, 1283-2, 2 x 1285-1 I think.

Another question with oil pump alignment. Are those alignment screws just 1/4"-20 screws that Jims sells or are they something diffrent? They are ten bucks so I can get screws for less obviously unless there is something about them. All let all know how the work goes, tools, and results. Thanks.

I used georges-garage.com to order my tools. So Glider I'm trusting you. Send me a link to the best oil pump aligning instrustions/information if you can. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warose the screws have a taper at the top. When you screw the screws into the pump the taper aligns the pump. I hope that you ordered more than one screw.

Back