free website stats program 2001 FLHP-I Road King Brake Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 FLHP-I Road King Brake Issue

Hazmatmonkey

Any suggestions about the bike? She idles rough, and the front master cylinder gives up from time to time.
Thanks!

The front master cylinder can be rebuilt if loosing pressure, be careful not to hone the bore, just wipe out with clean fluid, use assembly fluid when replacing the piston assembly

On the brakes, I suggest flushing and bleeding both front and back. See if that helps. If not, you may need to rebuild the master cylinders at least but with a 15 year old bike, a full brake job on both front and back (masters and calipers) may be in order. Being able to stop when you want is very important!!!

On the rough idle, that may be a bit subjective if you are coming off a Triumph and comparing the Harley to that. But if it is really running rough, then you may want to change out the plugs and even plug wires. Run some fuel system cleaner in it for a few tanks. See if that helps.

Cheers,

TQ

Also check the front rubber brake hoses for they can fail and get soft from the inside out.
As to idling rough. If fuel usage is not excessive and there is no backfiring or performance issues while riding it maybe operating as designed. The touring bikes shake quite a bit at idle to the point you usually can not see anything in the mirrors at a stop. Though you may experience broken fairing brackets which is a whole different type of shake at idle.o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Back