free website stats program 2001 Fatboy EMC 15 amp fuse issue | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Fatboy EMC 15 amp fuse issue

Hello, I am new to the site and I am in need of some help on my 2001 FLSTFI Fatboy. Yesterday I cleaned the bike, charged the battery and started the bike. I let it sit in the driveway for about 10 minutes running to make sure everything was dry and the battery was good. After that I took the bike for a spin and only made it about 100 yards before the engine shutdown on me. So after nearly having a stroke pushing it back to my house I noticed the fuel pump wasn’t working so checked the fuse and it was good. Then I pulled the pump from the tank and checked it and that was good.
After scratching my head for a second I checked all the fuses and found the 15amp ECM fuse blown. Replaced it and once I turned the ignition switch on it blew again.
I took my air compressor and blew off all my wires and replaced the fuse, blew again. Then I disconnected the voltage regulator and replaced the fuse, blew again. Then jumped the ignition switch with a piece of wire, blew again. I checked the main breaker and that was good also. Disconected the ECM connector and blew it out with air and replaced the fuse, blew again. So now 7 fuses later I still have no clue and I really hope it’s not the ECM.
Is there anything else it could be and how would I check it. Is there a way to test the ECM to see if it is bad before I spend $800 on a new one to only blow another fuse? Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the bike or suggestions or been in the same boat?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Welcome to the forum. Did you blow out the run/stop switch? Is the switch in the run or stop position when the fuse blows? To answer one of your question.....yes, I have all three manuals for the bike. I have one myself.

I will try that tonight and see what happens. The weather is warm here today so if its water in something I hope its dried out by now. Thanks!!!

and for the switch position.... I am pretty sure have tried it in both and it blows the fuse no matter but will confirm that tonight also.

I just got in and looked at the book. After the ecm fuse the hot wire goes to the ecm and the system relay. Both are located under the seat. Do you have a meter? This would help instead of having a box of fuses. I would think one side of the fuse would be grounded causing it to blow.

I do have a meter. When I pulled the system relay out the fuse didn’t blow but I have no clue where the wires go from there to check and see what wire has the ground on it. If you could email me a copy of the wiring.

I did pull the cover off the relay and it was bone dry in there and functions properly so I don’t think that is the culprit.
Thanks again for the help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The system relay energizes when the run/stop switch is turned to run. The coil terminals should read about 79 ohms. Does the ecm fuse blow when the switch is in stop position?

I can't email a picture here. Here's a picture from the book. The system relay is the first one below the fuses on the right side of the picture. After the system relay contact the feed goes to the fuel pump fuse, injectors and coil. But as if the fuse blows when the run/stop switch is in the stop position the problem will be elsewhere I would think. I'll pull the relay and post a picture of which terminals are which if that's needed.

Attachments

• 2001EFI WIRING.jpg
    2001EFI WIRING.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
Thank you very much for the help! I got a chance to work on the bike yesterday. when I got home I put everything back together on the bike, for fun I just shot the run switch with some compressed air and then pulled the relay to check for a grounded lug. it checked good so put a new fuse in and turned the bike on. Wahla....... no blow fuse and the fuel pump kicked on. Started the bike and ran it for 3-4 minutes with no issues. Took it out for a ride and put 50 miles on her with zero issues.......... Now I am scratching my head, wonder if there was water in the switch or somewhere else and it dryed up??? I guess I will never know but thank you so much for the help! :D

You may want to open the switch and check for corrosion. Sounds like something in there was causing a dead short.

Back