free website stats program 2001 electric glide whinning noise | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 electric glide whinning noise

thepretender530

while riding you can hear a whinning noise coming from the motor, it stops when you pull in on the clutch handle. Also when you turn the motor off you hear a spinning noise.
I have changed all the fluids(old,primary,trans). Noise is still there.
The slack in the primary is at a normal setting.

Spinning noise? After the engine is shut off? Hmmm. Only thing potentially spinning after the engine is off is the clutch inner if the tranny is in neutral and the clutch handle is pulled in, unless something is bad wrong.

I am always paranoid about what is going on inside the primary. I had my compensator nut back off enough to let the rotor wobble to the point where is snagged the stator coils and the drive shaft neatly sheared off all the profile teeth in the rotor hole. That then let the rotor spin but still make contact with the stator coils. However, this was not a whining sound, more of a nasty grind.

So if I get any weird noises coming from down there, I immediately pull the primary cover and take a peek. Even if it is just to make me feel better about what the problem ISN'T!!

TQ

It almost sounds like a starter when it is spinning and not engaging, like when you bench test a car starter. that spinning noise.
I don't think the starter is engaged at that time, at least it shouldn't be.
Say I do remove the primary cover what will I be looking for other that something worn or rubbing?
Thanks

ISay I do remove the primary cover what will I be looking for other that something worn or rubbing?

First, does it happen every time you ride the bike and shut the engine down? Can you localize the noise further, like is on the right or left side, front or back?

If you do have to get into the primary, drain the fluid and give it the sniff test. Does it smell burnt. You'll know. Buy a new primary cover gasket and if your bike has one, a primary chain inspection cover gasket. If it doesn't have one of these, get a derby cover gasket (clutch cover gasket). Get a quart of Formula +. Put down some old newspaper and remove the primary cover. Look at the inside of the cover around where the compensator nut would be when on and see if there are signs of rubbing. Check the compensator nut to see if it is loose. If everything checks out, get a light and inspect the clutch friction disks to see if they are worn way down (like to the metal to metal point). If all that is OK, great!! Ruled all that scary stuff out. Now button it back up (see the torquing pattern in your manual and use a torque wrench - should be something like 90-120 in-lbs.). Take the primary chain inspection plate off and add the Formula + there or open up the derby cover and add the fluid there. Check the manual for how much, but should be around the bottom of the clutch basket when the bike is standing straight up (not on the jiffy stand - for my bikes that is a full quart).

Let us know what you found out. Hopefully this was all for nothing, and you have to look elsewhere for the cause of the spinning sound!!

TQ

Back