free website stats program 2000 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Ultra Classic

I am going tomorrow to look at a 2000 Ultra with 60000 miles. I am new to the T/C as I have ridden EVO's. Is there any common problems with an Ultra with 60000 miles? What type of things can I look for as I look the bike over. Any help is appreciated.

As dlingle61 said, the only thing to look out for on the TK is the cam chain tensioners. Hopefully it has been changed over to gear drive cams, but if not, by now it has probably gone through at least one set of tensioners. They are hard fiber shoes that keep the cam chain from slapping around. The closest thing I can compare them to is the fiber material used in an old set of points. They wear out and have to be changed. From the Forum it seems like 30K is the average life span of a set of tensioners.

Other than that - I think everyone will agree the TK is an improvement over the Evo.

Just check out the bike like you would any other and ask specifically if the tensioners have been checked and what state of wear they are in so you can estimate when you will need to replace them. Good luck with your purchase (If you make it).

I did the tensioner update on my '99 Ultra and it's not bad if you can turn a wrench. TQ of this forum did a bang up job of recording his tensioner update and I referred to it several times while doing mine but keep in mind even if you do the work yourself, you'll have to purchase the nbecessary parts. If you are not mnechanically inclined, or, just don't have the time, you'll have to eventually pay someone to do the work for you, so keep that in mind when deciding price. I like the T/C engine. The EFI makes it very streetable . Good power and fuel economy to boot. Good luck......

Having thought it over for a bit, I don't know that I would be looking at a 60K mile bike unless you are getting a VERY good deal. EXAMPLE: The glut of bikes on ebay has forced prices down. Most of the bikes that are selling, are selling below book.

If you don't need the dealer for financing, I would suggest you continue shopping. You should be able to find a nice one-owner ride (with service records), low mileage, in your price range if you are patient and willing to do a little driving.

We have bought several this season and flipped them for a profit, so I know they are out there.

Back