free website stats program 2000 Sportster battery removal | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Sportster battery removal

gbuzz71

I just inherited my father's 2000 Sportster 1200. I can't for the life of me figure out how to take the batt. out to replace it! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

You need to remove the ignition module cover (the triangular shaped cover on the left side of the bike to the rear of the battery
this will give you access to the nut on the end of the battery strap
take the nut fully off the end of the strap then lift that end up the other end is hook shaped and fits in a slot at the front of the battery tray
lift the rear end of the strap up and wiggle the front end down and should just slip out of its slot
then you can remove the top cover if a side cover is fitted can be fairly tight
work it out from the top
you may then find that the battery has got well settled in its posn but a bit of careful pulling and pushing should free it off
at this stage you will find life easier if you Have help as you'll only get the battery part way out and its difficult to hold it and undo the cable bolts but it can be done
always undo the negative first and secure it last
have fun and don't use too much bad language

Brian

I just inherited my father's 2000 Sportster 1200. I can't for the life of me figure out how to take the batt. out to replace it! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome Gbuzz71 to HDTimeline...you will find a lot of good information and helpful threads here for the novice and seasoned riders. You might want to check out the self help section for tips and search tab at the top to help you find some service documentation as well...Enjoy! :D

You need to remove the ignition module cover (the triangular shaped cover on the left side of the bike to the rear of the battery
this will give you access to the nut on the end of the battery strap
take the nut fully off the end of the strap then lift that end up the other end is hook shaped and fits in a slot at the front of the battery tray
lift the rear end of the strap up and wiggle the front end down and should just slip out of its slot
then you can remove the top cover if a side cover is fitted can be fairly tight
work it out from the top
you may then find that the battery has got well settled in its posn but a bit of careful pulling and pushing should free it off
at this stage you will find life easier if you Have help as you'll only get the battery part way out and its difficult to hold it and undo the cable bolts but it can be done
always undo the negative first and secure it last
have fun and don't use too much bad language

Brian

I've already used too much bad language!! I did get the cover off successfully but the battery is wedged in there and won't move. I'm afraid to scratch things up or break something getting it out of there. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that will free it up. I'll try again in a couple of days again. Thanks for your reply.

If you've got the cover off the only other thing is the battery cables which are shorter than you'd like them to be
and it is a fairly tight fit and if its been there a while it'll want to stay there
you just need to use a little more force on it to get it to move

Brian

One thing that may be aggravating the situation, if the battery was overcharged at one time, the case can swell due to the heat and may be "phat" in a bad way. I know even my '04 Sporty has a tight fitting battery, and the negative side in inside, so you have to be extra careful to pull main fuse, then disconnect postive lead first(normally you try to disconnect negative lead first).

OK I got the battery out enough to jump it. But it won't start, I hit the start button and it starts clicking wildly. If I hold the start button down for a couple of seconds it will stop clicking and then try turning over very slowly. So I removed the battery from the bike and it felt very warm to the touch. I put a meter on it and it's reading like 11 volts...I think I used the meter right. So is the battery shot? Thanks for your help.

I used patience and less swearing and the baterry came out:)

It sounds like the lead acid plates have shorted in the bat. go buy a new one,make sure it is fully charged.I usually trickle charge overnight,then install it. I also dont like jump starting a bike ,those shorted plates could have boiled the acid or blown the bat,as well as the electrical does not appreciate it.

The battery does like to stay in there once it is in
but that one probably knew once it was out it wasn't going back
from your last post certainly sounds like its time is up and it'll need replacing
you will find it a bit of a pest to get the cables undone as they are short but it is possible
keep going and you'll soon get there

Brian

"--I used patience and less swearing and the baterry came out:)

Been with HDT only a short while and you have the learned the "--ways of the FORCE..." Maybe this HDT good language message is paying off dividends we were not aware of big time! :bigsmiley14:

Back