free website stats program 2000 Sportster 1200 Tachometer Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Sportster 1200 Tachometer Problem

dkerns

My tachometer on my 2000 Sportster 1200 has quit working. This tach is no longer offered by H-D. Rather than buying an after-market replacement, I thought there may be an electrical issue that is behind the tach failure. By the way, the speedometer is working just fine. When I turn my ignition switch from "off" to "accessories," the speedometer back light and digital mileage display both light up. However, the tachometer back light doesn't light up. When I turn the ignition switch to "ignition," the tachometer back light does light up. However, no RPMs register on the tach when the engine is started. The lack of "life" in the tachometer when the switch is on "accessories" is somewhat suspicious to me. Is this an indication of an electrical problem outside of the tachometer, or is this a normal operation?

Looking at PDF #1, the ignition switch supplies power to the speedo in both IGN & ACC. Power is only supplied to the tach when IGN switch is in the IGN position.
So what you are seeing with the backlights would be normal.

The tach has 3 wires. Disconnect them. With ignition key off, check continuity from the Pink wire at the tach (trigger wire), and the pink on the coil. (see PDF #2). As be sure you have 12v between the Orange & Black wires at the tach itself. (You should because the backlight does come on)

I assume you did not convert your ignition system and it is still factory stock. The pink trigger wire must have the proper signal to make the tach read. Some performance aftermarket ignitions may not be able to trigger the factory tach.

Attachments

• Sportster#1.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Sportster#2.pdf
    50.1 KB · Views: 40
I confirmed with another 2000 Sportster 1200 owner that the back light operation is normal. I'm having trouble with my local H-D dealer coming up with a part number for the tach. First, they gave me #67111-85, which I later found out is for '84-'93 models. Then, they gave me 67152-99, which is a "stainless steel" tach. Getting back to your reply....If there is continuity along the pink wire between the coil and the tach, then the problem is most likely in the tach itself? If so, can you confirm the part number (67152-99) and let me know if there are any after-market replacement tachs out there? It seems that both part numbers that the H-D dealer has given me are obsolete with H-D.

If there is continuity along the pink wire between the coil and the tach, then the problem is most likely in the tach itself?

If the pink wire tests good, and the ignition system (trigger) is factory stock, and the two power leads at tach test good with a meter, then the tach is bad. (99.9%)

Can't understand why parts counter guy is having trouble giving you the original part number. Even if the part number is obsolete, it will show on hard copy manuals printed for that year bike.

Don't worry that part is obsolete. Having the correct part number will allow you to find NOS and clean used speedo's. I am sure there are plenty to be found. If you plan on keeping the bike for years to come, buy a parts manual for $20. It's Great reading.

As the ign. trigger rotor rotates it opens and closes the 12V. to the coil. If you put you bike in 5th. gear and roll it forward you will see the 12V disappear, then come back. As it pulses it triggers the Tach. Simply put.
tourbox

I would say yes if the ign. rotor is in the closed position. As the rotor rotates it opens or closes the 12Vdc thru the coil. There should be 2 wires(including the pink) on the coil where the pink is at. The second wire is coming from the Cam sensor plate in the gear cover. Disconnect both of those and your ground should disappear off the coil. Or you can rotate the motor a little and should do the same thing.
tourbox

Back