free website stats program 2000 Road King Classic opinion | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Road King Classic opinion

Jimmy_k

A friend has a really nice looking 2000 Road King Classic for sale.

I currently ride a 2007 Super Glide Custom, but have always lusted after a RKC.

I'm wondering how it would be downsizing from the 96 TC. I'm planning on test driving the RKC, but won't be able to spend a lot of time on it.

Also I know the touring bikes had a major frame upgrade in 2009. Another issue is the 5 speed transmission.

Should I hold out for a 2009/2010 RKC (a ways down the road in the future) or go for the 2000 (which I could afford now)? Will I miss the 96 TC too much?

THanks,
Jimmy

Well, its a different style of bike than what you are currently riding.

I would rather buy a bike from someone I know as opposed to a stranger.

Test ride it and decide for yourself. I decided it suited my needs (1999 RKC)

Why put off to tomorrow what you can do today ; )

Just my opinion...

I would hold off till you could get a 2009 or later, the 07 you have now is a much better bike then the 2000 RK, if the 2000 is injected, it has the early injection system :( after riding a 96'' it would be hard to be happy with a 88'', if you can't wait trade your's in on a low mile 09, their are dealers out there willing to deal now, the new frame & engine mounts along with the 96'' factory built motor is worth waiting for, just my opinion

A friend has a really nice looking 2000 Road King Classic for sale.

I currently ride a 2007 Super Glide Custom, but have always lusted after a RKC.

I'm wondering how it would be downsizing from the 96 TC. I'm planning on test driving the RKC, but won't be able to spend a lot of time on it.

Also I know the touring bikes had a major frame upgrade in 2009. Another issue is the 5 speed transmission.

Should I hold out for a 2009/2010 RKC (a ways down the road in the future) or go for the 2000 (which I could afford now)? Will I miss the 96 TC too much?

THanks,
Jimmy

why wait??

I ride a ol 97 Police Bike (62000 miles) and love it...i have absolutely no problem "keeping up" and mine is a 80 ci....rides like a dream (after I got rid of the a/m fairing that came on it and installed a glide pro) 6 speed is nice...but not a necessity (and yes I have rode one) I get compliments on it all the time! The only thing that is missing for me is a decent/clean way to install some tunes (working on it)

Plus...its paid for!! more money for building my hardtails and other fun!!

My brother Just plunked down $23000.00 for a 2011 Road Glide Ultra....and just doesn't understand why I mess with older bikes...lol

IMO i would wait. Even though a 2000 bike is not that old, i think you will be kicking yourself for what you will be losing from the 2007.

IF the 2000 is built (date on down tube sticker) Dec. 15, 1999 or is it the second half year??? then it will be dated year 2000 on the sticker..

Very important....If dated before 2000 on the down tube sticker and saying 1999 on the build date, It had a Cam bearing problem along with the Shoes....

The oil pump the lack of oil scavenging,,, the cam shoes being an issue,,, 5 speed (nothing wrong but 6 nice) Larger rear tire and bigger better frame.... Saying nothing about a better ride. and better FI system and more out of the box in Cubic in's..

SO,,,, I would also be in favor of a 2009 FLHR or C.... Not cats in exhaust along with Too many improvements to list here...

Just like Chopper Says!!!! He's a Knowledgeable Good man, that Chopper guy... Glad to see a post from him,,,,,:D

I really like MY 09... NOT the 10's or 11's, NOR probably the 12's.....

signed....BUBBIE

I would hold off till you could get a 2009 or later, the 07 you have now is a much better bike then the 2000 RK, if the 2000 is injected, it has the early injection system :( after riding a 96'' it would be hard to be happy with a 88'', if you can't wait trade your's in on a low mile 09, their are dealers out there willing to deal now, the new frame & engine mounts along with the 96'' factory built motor is worth waiting for, just my opinion

Chopper would know IMO

Appreciate the responses.

That's why I love this forum -- everyone's willingness to share their experience and knowledge.

I am getting new Python pipes put on the Dyna on Monday, along with an upgraded air cleaner to go with the TFI I already put on. If that kicks up the performance like I hope it will, I'll probably hold off for a while and wait on a 2009 or so RKC. The Dyna is so much fun to ride in the meantime...

It helps hearing about issues a 2000 bike might have that I wouldn't even had thought about. Nothing worse than making a wrong decision based on not enough information.

Thanks for all the input!!
Jimmy

I had a 2000 RK with a stage two, 95" upgrade. I was happy with it, until I rode my new bike, a 2010 Ultra Limited. The ride difference is unbelievable. The frame changes alone would make it worth the wait, but include the bigger motor and I would think you would be happier with waiting....Just my opinion, but I have experienced both the 2000 RK and the new frame and motor and to me there is no comparison.

I have a 02 RK and its a great bike but if there was a 6 speed available I would wait and get that, ya I know a lot say the 5 speed is fine but I think it may depend on how much highway driving you do I do a considerable amount and at 80 mph the rpm's are screaming, around town the 5 speed is great.

Back