free website stats program 2000 road king cam plate. | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 road king cam plate.

intrepid1

hi, i know this subject has been beat to death but i still have some questions. the '07 cam plate as well as the se conversion kit (orange plate) have no bushings in the plate and the cam ends ride on just an oil film. has anyone seen wear in this bearing area? it seems like a high wear spot. the se plate upgrade for '07 (black plate) looks like it has bushings. if this is an upgrade can i just use that plate and build my own kit? i've read so much about this that i'm goin' cross-eyed but these questions still remain. thanks for your time.

hi, i know this subject has been beat to death but i still have some questions. the '07 cam plate as well as the se conversion kit (orange plate) have no bushings in the plate and the cam ends ride on just an oil film. has anyone seen wear in this bearing area? it seems like a high wear spot. the se plate upgrade for '07 (black plate) looks like it has bushings. if this is an upgrade can i just use that plate and build my own kit? i've read so much about this that i'm goin' cross-eyed but these questions still remain. thanks for your time.
My choice for the Money would be the HD's "KIT".

Gives you Most of what is needed. Oil Pump, Cam-plate, chain and sprockets. To convert over to Hydraulics on the tensioners. (engine cam bearings Not, purchase seperately).

signed....BUBBIE

so you have no concerns with the cams riding in the plate with no bushings?

Actually NO wear when checked at ? 30,000 miles. I did replace it with the "A" suffix but Not for any reason of wear..... The all parent material on the crank in place of the bushing seems to be no problem as I have Not seen a Bad report on this site OR other forms.

Remember that the cam plates changed in 07 to the Bigger holed parent material and the cams to fit it have the bigger ends= more surface to run in... Metric bikes have used this type of approach for many years and no problems with them...

55,000 on my 09 motor now . I'll report back when I change to 103".

My bet is that the cam plate with the Parent Material will last a looooong time.

I have Not heard of any wear problems with this cam plate using this type of surface for the No bushings..

signed....BUBBIE

Mind you,,,,, I'm NOT talking about using the SE Billet type cam plate.....

The Billet types are made with softer Aluminum (billet) machined and only Surface Hardened.

The parent material I'm in favor of is in the STOCK replacement part for the newer TC motors. If billet made and hardened ??? then all bets are off.IMO

I may have confused the issue here.

The SE plate can wear out early I'VE Been Told,,, because of the softer aluminum used in making it, then surface hardened.

The materials used in the Cast cam plates are of High Strength and the wear surfaces will last, no Hardened thicknes to wear thru like the SE plates...

signed....BUBBIE

30,000 miles is pretty convincing for the use of the stock plate. what is the "A" suffix? of the plate?
i would need cams for an '07. the inner bearings will be the same size?

30,000 miles is pretty convincing for the use of the stock plate. what is the "A" suffix? of the plate?
i would need cams for an '07. the inner bearings will be the same size?

The problem using the stock plates on a pre 07 model, whether "A" suffix (the latest) or using a used plate that has the large cam ends IS the cam bearings size on the Engine side has been increased to 1 inch from the pre o7 of 7/8 inch...

I don't know IF the cam makers do the conversion for this?

Seems easy IF they do. The older TC motors have the 7/8 inch and that is the needed fact to find out.

The SE replacement plates for conversion DON't run in the parent materials ,,,,You use the same cam bearings like in the old plate..

It may be that they make a Cam to fit the parent material (big ends) and May be do the 7/8 inner size??? That would be a great conversion IMO.

I have Not found out so IF you get ahold of a cam manufacturer and Ask them...... That would be the way to go. Many cams with different uses, so???

So many different products have been built on the after market, I have no personal use to keep up on them... Your on your own here.:D

Maybe one of the Knowledgeable members Know???

The SE plate using cam bearings and is the conversion one would Not be a problem as they use Bearings the same as the old plate does BUT you are getting the high volume oil pump and the Hydraulic conversion THAT's the part I like... Using your old style cams to fit...:s

The "A" plate is just the latest one to replace when ordering a Stock one on a newer bike..May be a differennt manufacturer??? no one will say.

signed....BUBBIE

Here is some info. Unfortunately, the Herko kits are no longer available, but Andrews Products kit is essentially the same (although John threw in a bunch of time savers that made the job almost idiot proof in terms of forgetting to get something.)

On the pre-'07 TCs, the inner bearings were the 7/8". Andrews and the other makers have replacements cams that will run in the new plate (no bearings) and have the 7/8" inner bearing size ends.

See here for some info:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Harley Davidson Community

See here for Andrews Prod info:

Motorcycle Parts Catalog | Andrews Products, Inc.

TQ

There are two PNs for the black plate; 25283-07 and 25284-08 but both PNs have been superceded and unless you get one off Ebay or some other source, not likely to find one of those at a dealer. The short answer to your question is that both black plates will work on your 2000 model and you can build a kit of parts around each plate but the kit of parts will be different for each plate. For instance, the -07 plate uses spring loaded tensioners but the -08 plate will require a set of hydro tensioners. Neither plate has bushing to support the outer cam journals; both run roller and ball bearing supports. So, if you have a black plate, you are good to go, just need to get the right supporting parts to complete the conversion. The supporting parts for chain drive will be different from those for a gear drive setup.

Probably should update the white paper which is dated. Both PNs have been superceded by 25282-11 and 25284-11 which are "kits" and John can no longer sell his kits.

SEcamplates.jpg

More questions??

thanx guys. i guess it will make more sense when i rip it open. some of this info seems to contradict some of the ideas i have formed. it's tough to decide without getting my hands on the parts and looking at them (for me). other than being pretty and allowing me to use my existing cams the se plate seems expensive for what it is . a stock "A" plate is only $78. my concern was wear in the parent material race for the cam. i thought i saw on another site a guy that said he did see wear in several units he serviced but i can't find it again and now i'm not sure if i read it correctly. i've read several sites but prefer this one. IMO the contributors seem more mechanic types than just riders...just sayin

Back