free website stats program 2000 RK error codes/ now what? | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 RK error codes/ now what?

patrick13

I had a previous post that sort of died out:

2000 Road King Engine light - Harley Davidson Community

, but i am still getting Error codes of 42(camshaft position sensor) and 56 (camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor timing or signal error)according to a Clymer manual

Just looking for advice on this. Am I damaging anything by riding it like this?There does not seem to be any noticeable difference int he ride.

I too am supprised that your not noticing any performance issues.

It says that there is a signal error. This could be because the sensor has gone bad or be caused by a wet or corroded connetion. I'd start by pulling the harness plug and making sure it is not corroded. Put some dielectric grease on the fitting and see if that doesn't fix the problem. I would do the same for the harness plug at the ECU. If that doesn't fix it I'd go ahead and change the cam shaft sensor as it shows up on both codes.

The ECU is looking for a signal within a certain range. If it gets a signal outside that it will trip a code. Cleaning and grease is cheaper than parts so that is always where I start.

Back