free website stats program 2000 injected road king running rough | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 injected road king running rough

no codes ever given. Let me clarify something when you crack the throttle after the split second hesitation she runs like a bat out of (EDIT) . Has never died on me or not started. Does backfire throught the breather, this and the idle incline me to think it is an intake leak and running lean . Maybe intake seals and SERT. Thanks for your help and response.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
While the MM EFI has a bad rap, I am inclined to "work" with what you got, not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
MM EFI has way more than a bad rap...It has a proven history of nothing but trouble...A lot of mechanics try to "work" with the MM EFI but there is no permanent fix to a bad design...Do a search on the MM EFI and you will get more reading material on this troubled system than you care to read...I have two friends that chased fixes to their MM problems for years...one went to carb the other went with Thundermax efi and never looked back

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks foe everyones input. Turned out to be a combination of 2 things after tearing the efi completly down cleaning it and putting everything back. 1, the throttle position sensor somehow was moved and had a lot of carbon buildup, 2 the throttle control arm was gumed up and sticking. Runs like it never has, took the backfire away and the idle is perfect now and no coughing at all. Replaced the intake seals anyway and cleaned everything while it was out. Appreciate the help

As an interested reader in this thread, last week I bought a 2000 RKClassic with fuel injection (3883 miles), which at the time I thought was the coolest thing. I have now done about a 100 searches of variations on MMI FI. The bike I bought runs/starts like a champ, but I admit I am concerned. At least I know I can put a Mikuni on if needs arise.
Now back to the thread, wouldn't carbon buildup be a sign of an exhaust/intake leak? I guess you checked the manifold connections and at least tried to eliminate that area.
2000RoadKing005.jpg

Back