free website stats program 2000 Heritage Springer Electrical problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Heritage Springer Electrical problems

Because you stated that the ignition key needed to be recycled to get the engine started once again, that tells me that the ICM may be getting a false tilt signal from the sensor and is killing your engine. The extra weight needed from an extra rider supports that theory also. So in order to temporarily disable the tilt switch, we need to understand what logic level is needed on the green/gray trigger wire going to the ICM.

The service manual does not go into detail about the logic level needed on that wire, which is the trigger wire from the tilt switch. So before you can safely by-pass the switch (or lie to the ICM), you must determine if the ICM has a pull up resistor or a pull down resistor and if the external tilt switch sinks or sources that voltage. Performing those two voltage steps from the previous post will give us those answers.

Not many conditions will correct themselves with just a simple re-boot of the ignition key. If the lights are staying ON, but the engine dies,,, and an ignition re-boot immediately gets it going again (no cool down or anything), there is a very good chance this may be it. Simple test that costs nothing.

A tilt (tip over) signal is the logic condition sent to the ICM which kills the ignition system if the bike is leaning greater than 45* while running. Designed to lock out the ignition until you reset/reboot the ICM. The signal comes from the tip over sensor located just to the left of the main circuit breaker which is just in front of the rear tire where the swing arm pivots.

So, I called my mechanic to tell him about your thoughts on the bank angle sensor. As soon as I told him what you had posted, he informed me that he had just pulled the BAS off the bike, and that he was going to be ordering a replacement, since it was corroded and it rattled when he shook it. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back