free website stats program 2000 Heritage Carbed TC88 engine light-HELP | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Heritage Carbed TC88 engine light-HELP

Alright so I just replaced the cam support pate in a 2000 TC88 with a carb, now the engine light is coming on and the bike will start for approx. ten seconds and then shut off, reset the ignition and it will do the same thing. I need help!!!!!
By the way did the jumper thing and no codes?!

Anyone with any ideas? I can shut the ignition on the tank off and then it wil restart for another 10 seconds and then it is shutting back off? I still cant get any codes to flash either...very confused. On a suspicious note, underneath the seat is a small box maybe 1.5"x1.5" and it is cracked open on the casing, the wires from it lead to the turn signals and also to the neutral switch and distributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you disconnected any of the modules on the bike at all, you may need to do a reinitialization.

Find out what the box is and if there are any part numbers or manufacturing info on it that can ID it.

Alright so I got the jumper thing right and it flashed 42. So I replaced the cam position sensor and still have the problem. I made the cams were lined up and I made sure the sprockets were spot on before I buttoned it up and still nothing. Tried the reinitialization and still have the same problem. No idea what I have done wrong I just can figure it out, is there a way to figure out if the timing is 180 degrees out? Could that be the problem, Glider any info you can pass along would be appreciated along with anyone else.

If it starts and runs for 10 sec I wouldn't think that you have the cams out of time or 180 degrees out. After you changed the cam p/s did it start. Did you cross the wires on the cam p/s plug.
kemo

no the I double and triple checked wiring, 180 degrees out, so how do I fix it? Is there a way to find true TDC just by looking at the motor and not the lifters or pushrods?

Did you change the trigger sprocket. The 1999 and 2000 year bikes use a different trigger sprocket then the newer ones. Did you change cams, what have you done in the cam chest.
kemo

On the evo engines there is a plug on the left side of the engine in between where the 2 cylinders come together removing the plug allows you to see the timing marks on the flywheel
i would suspect there is a similar inspection plug on the tc engine

Brian

The primary cam chain tensioner was destroyed and caused the cam plate to crack so I had to get a new tensioner and plate and reinstall the cams that were on the old plate on the new plate. The bike had adjustable pushrods and se211 cams. I replaced the cam p/s and the gaskets. I folowed the manual closely and made sure I did everything correctly, I think I may rotated the motor when installing the new plate to allow the oil pump to center and I got out of sequence on the intake and exhaust. I thought I rotated it correctly but the more I think about it the more I think it may be 180 degrees out like you said.

" In this case I would...put slack in the pushrods, take the rear cam sprocket off and just rotate the motor 180 degrees and then put it back together?"

Sound like the correct answer or any other suggestions?

So is that what you would do, does that sound correct? I am thinking that this may be correct, but I was hoping for a second opinion.

Back