free website stats program 20 months and new HD AGM Battery is dead | Harley Davidson Forums

20 months and new HD AGM Battery is dead

FinallyFlying

The original HD battery in my 2006 1200 lasted 7 years with NO battery tender hooked up and being ridden only couple times a month.

I replaced it with another HD battery in 2013 and the parts guy at the dealership talked me into buying their battery tender JR which I have kept plugged in.

Now at 20 months old, the battery won't hold a charge at all..... is anyone else having trouble with new HD batteries? I'm just wondering if they are making them in China or something lately.... anyone know?

Harley contracts it's batteries to East Penn Mfg. in Pennsylvania. The house brand of this company is Deka. I know a man that retired from the company, and he said there was a large change in the production "process" in 2012.
Maybe HD lowered the specs to save money (and sell more later)? The original battery in my '07 lasted 5 years. The Deka I replaced it with lasted 2 years. My current Deka is 13 months old and still strong.

Bought my replacement battery from Batteries Plus over 2 years ago and still going strong. I can't remember the brand off hand but I have no complaints and the price was cheaper then Deka. My battery gets a workout due to higher compression so I'm impressed with my choice. I always hook up the tender after every ride.

JMO but I think you should have gotten better life out of your Deka. Check with Harley and see if they'll pro rate it with a purchase of a new one. If not I'd check out Batteries Plus.

I'm not surprised. I can only get a little more than that out of mine.

Back