free website stats program 20-50 full syn oil | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

20-50 full syn oil

I totally agree with you dolt that the rating is a base standard but which oil is the base and which is the best?? In this post alone there has been recommended multiple different brands and weights of oil so which one of these api.sm rated synthetic oils is the best?? Prolly no answer here!! Now if one oil co. invests in a test that ups their oil to a api.sn rating then we might be a little closer to a definitive answer.But then again all the other companies would rush to have their oil rated api.sn too. Then we'd be back with which meets the standard and which is the standard?? Two sides and no answer.

Personally I use lucas high performance motorcycle oil synthetic 20w-50 and redline v-twin all synthetic transmission oil. Why?? because that's what the local dealer carries and I've had no troubles so far. If he changes what he carries I'll prolly change with him, again why?? because the alternative is a 1.5 hour drive to my local h.d. dealer to get a liter of oil that at best might be a little better than what I'm using now.

Personally I use lucas high performance motorcycle oil synthetic 20w-50 and redline v-twin all synthetic transmission oil. Why?? because that's what the local dealer carries and I've had no troubles so far. If he changes what he carries I'll prolly change with him, again why?? because the alternative is a 1.5 hour drive to my local h.d. dealer to get a liter of oil that at best might be a little better than what I'm using now.

No need to leave the comforts of your home when you can order whatever product you want from places like Amazon online. I've found you can find the flavor of your choice at or cheaper than local dealers. I have a case of Mobile 1 twin V 20/50 that I paid 7 bucks a bottle after the mail in rebate off Amazon.:s

I totally agree with you dolt that the rating is a base standard but which oil is the base and which is the best?? In this post alone there has been recommended multiple different brands and weights of oil so which one of these api.sm rated synthetic oils is the best?? Prolly no answer here!!

There is an answer for me. I check the viscosity index and viscosity @ 40* and 100*; that is my criteria. Now, does that make that particular oil the "best"; who knows but it is the "best" for me.:bigsmiley10:

I am a newbey and this is my first Harley. That said, I just changed my oil and am trying Castrol 20-50 full syn. "Formulated for Harley Davidson V-twin engines and trans". I am not sure how long it has been out there?? I have always used Castrol in my cars and I trust it. Anybody heard anything bad about this? As soon as my floor jack comes in I will be doing the trans and chain drive with the same oil unless some opinions change my mind.

I have a case of Mobile 1 twin V 20/50 that I paid 7 bucks a bottle after the mail in rebate off Amazon.:s

Jack, if that is the oil of choice for you, start checking Advanced Auto for the special that they run a few times a year. Five quarts of any Mobil synthetic plus a Mobil filter for $29.95 and not limit. Mobil does make a specific motorcycle oil filter, MIMC-132 as well as a car filter M1-102 that also will work. Both have 89psi bypass and anti drain back valves. Micron/flow data is hard to find but being a Mobil filter, should be adequate. The MC filter is available in black and chrome.

Jack, if that is the oil of choice for you, start checking Advanced Auto for the special that they run a few times a year. Five quarts of any Mobil synthetic plus a Mobil filter for $29.95 and not limit. Mobil does make a specific motorcycle oil filter, MIMC-132 as well as a car filter M1-102 that also will work. Both have 89psi bypass and anti drain back valves. Micron/flow data is hard to find but being a Mobil filter, should be adequate. The MC filter is available in black and chrome.

Autozone also has a sale a couple time a year. I take advantage of it when it come around. I have run the Mobil filter before and had no issues, they seem to be a pretty good product. I'm kicking around the idea of using the K&N next, I like the welded nut idea on the filter.

The lordco I shop as also has sales and I know the manager (pf) so I get a lvl.7 discount,what ever that means?? and I like to support local friends and businesses in a small town as long as their prices are somewhat competitive.

Autozone also has a sale a couple time a year. I take advantage of it when it come around. I have run the Mobil filter before and had no issues, they seem to be a pretty good product. I'm kicking around the idea of using the K&N next, I like the welded nut idea on the filter.

I also have run the Mobil filter, the M1-102 with no issues but that was before I knew there was a specific motorcycle filter.:s

Back