free website stats program 20-50 full syn oil | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

20-50 full syn oil

If you did your homework I think you'd find all oil is made by a small handful of companies that have the technology and ability to do so. Harley,Honda,Yamaha etc don't make oil or filters they buy them and usually from the lowest bidder like everything else they buy. So that's why everyone here is happy with their oil because it all comes from the same handful of manufacturers.

If you did your homework I think you'd find all oil is made by a small handful of companies that have the technology and ability to do so. Harley,Honda,Yamaha etc don't make oil or filters they buy them and usually from the lowest bidder like everything else they buy. So that's why everyone here is happy with their oil because it all comes from the same handful of manufacturers.

Even though Harley, Honda and Yamaha don't make their own oil and filters the products do have to meet or exceed their respective engineers specifications. Bottom line each company will most likely go with the cheapest bid as long as the product meets their standards. The 3 companies you mentioned are no different then any other company that wants to compete in the motorcycle industry.

Pretty sure most on this forum know that. However, if you read the specifications, regardless of manufacturer, they are usually different. The idea that one oil is not better than another for a particular application because "all oil is made by a small handful of companies" is ridiculous.:coffee

Agree, HD doesn't make their own oil but Syn3 and the rest has to meet HD's spec. My CUSE3's 110 c.i. engine has 111,000+ miles and uses about 1/2 quart between changes (5000 miles). I use Syn3 and HD filters. I think HD's synthetic is okay.

I like the Redline 20-60 my temps have dropped from 290* down to 250* I live in So Cal so YMMV with temps. I run my oil 6k miles and have good UOA all the time. with redline or M1 20-50 but I'm sticking with 20-60 it just runs cooler.

I never said a particular oil for a particular application didn't have to meet a certain rating. If you read this or any forum/post many people use "their" oil and it's the best!! Be it syn3,mobil1,redline etc. the list goes on. All these oils meet a certain standard and you can read that standard on the bottle of oil. If one oil was significantly better than any other then the other would go extinct quickly!!If you read the rating on a bottle of oil and compare it to another bottle of oil and if the rating is the same then there is no major difference in those oils for that particular job. If there was a difference then the better oil would pay to up grade their oils rating. ie. from sg-sh, the sh oil would have a higher rating and therefor do a better job lubricating for that particular job. Obviously you need to compare motor oil with motor oil and 2stroke oil with 2stroke oil etc. You can't compare apples with oranges!! I stand by what I posted earlier. 20w-50 syn3 api-sm rating is not significantly better/if at all than lucas 20w50 motorcycle oil syn. api-sm rating or any other synthetic oil used to do a specific job. And I knew I'd be roasted for this post but there is no answer because people all have their own opinions about the best oil out there!!

I like the Redline 20-60 my temps have dropped from 290* down to 250* I live in So Cal so YMMV with temps. I run my oil 6k miles and have good UOA all the time. with redline or M1 20-50 but I'm sticking with 20-60 it just runs cooler.

I have PUSHED this GREAT Redline oil for years. I only do that for the benefit of the members here. Not a dime made from Redline, JUST the satisfaction I can Help a few members WHO LISTEN out when picking an oil for their ride.

I know many riders that do what you have done, use the 20/50 and when really hot use the 20/60 Redline and their temps Do DROP just like you said yours did.

The oil is a little more costly from 20/50 to 20/60... it is just a few dollars a quart difference but in a hot HOT environment 20/60 truly does the job.

Even here in HOT Az. I have used the 20/50 Redline and it also keep COOL...

Recently, I changed to a 10w60 full synthetic oil and do like it BUT like said in another post IT IS Hard to switch from such a good product like REDLINE.

I may switch back as I am ONLY doing an Experiment with Liqui Moly 10w60...

It got a good report from Blackstone (listed report some place on HDT) but that is because I have a good Clean built 103" motor. AND I Used Redline from the Get-Go... Motor is in excellent shape with about 30,000 miles on it.

BUT that 10w60 fully synthetic Liqui-Moly is another good LOWERING temperature oil for our Harley's.

signed....BUBBIE

YIKES It is post # 14...... Check out the BLAW Blaw there...

All these oils meet a certain standard and you can read that standard on the bottle of oil. You can't compare apples with oranges!!

OK but just a foot note. While it is true that oil for certain applications must meet certain standards, those standards are the baseline. Some oil exceed those standards which does make a difference when choosing an oil for a specific applications.:s

In Oklahoma temperatures can vary significantly from one day to the next. I have had good service from Motul 10W-60. In the primary when cold, it seems to "glue" the clutch plates together far less than any 20W-50 I have used. If Redline starts making a 10W-60 motorcycle oil I will try that. I have not been able to find an outlet for the Liqui Moly 10W-60 motorcycle oil. The car oil is easier to find but, right or wrong, I believe that air cooled engines require different properties in oils as compared to liquid cooled engines.

In Oklahoma temperatures can vary significantly from one day to the next. I have had good service from Motul 10W-60. In the primary when cold, it seems to "glue" the clutch plates together far less than any 20W-50 I have used. If Redline starts making a 10W-60 motorcycle oil I will try that. I have not been able to find an outlet for the Liqui Moly 10W-60 motorcycle oil. The car oil is easier to find but, right or wrong, I believe that air cooled engines require different properties in oils as compared to liquid cooled engines.

Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2024 Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil - 5 Liter Jug: Automotive

I love oil threads!:D:D

Back