free website stats program 2 warranty or not 2 warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

2 warranty or not 2 warranty

carter

So the time has come after ordering my nightrain july of last year and I finally take delivery of it this weekend. I thought deciding what style of bike , color, wheels and security were hard decisions. Now it comes to this warranty is the big question. Is standard 2 year enuff or is 5 or 7 the way to go? With warranty can I do my own service or do I have to take it in everytime? And what can I do to the bike without losing warranty? I talked to my dealer and was told a stage one is covered under warranty only if installed by an H.D. mechanic. So what else can't I do? They even tried to sell me tire and wheel insurance and xtra theft protection. Any thought's or personal experiences will be helpful. Thanx !

With warranty can I do my own service or do I have to take it in everytime? And what can I do to the bike without losing warranty?

Ok..tell you my experience...I am a happy camper I got the extended warranty...I've had a cracked TB and had it replaced on the extended warranty also had to have the cam chain tensioner's replaced also under warranty (extended).So with parts and labor I've paid for the extended warranty twice over. I have a trailer hitch and pull a trailer and do lots of my own maintenance since I joined this site . All I've done was kept a record of what I've done maintenance wise. Also so kept receipts of oils, gaskets, etc. I've had absolutely No problems with warranty ...I've heard other people have. I think its entirely up to the dealer..So good luck...and I would get the extended warranty if you think your going to have the bike more than 2 years..if not then you don't need it!

The 2 year warranty is enough IMO to find out any problems with a machine, however the extended warranty is a good thing for peace of mind if it doesn't create a problem for you cost wise.
If there was a manufacturing problem with anything, it should show in the first two years of it's life. I bought the extended warranty on my 07 even though it will never see the dealer unless a major part goes bad because of the new transmissions and the new 96 engine in the 07 bikes. The cost of the warranty is usually somewhat negotiable from most dealers. I saved a few hundred on a previous bike on the warranty by negotiating the price with them.

I think extended warranties are a good idea. I look at it like this, I want my bike covered for the entire time that I am making payments on it so I don't have to worry about high dollar repair bills while making loan payments. I bought a extended warranty when I bought my used 90 FLHS and 6 months later, the cylinders were warped and the extended warranty covered cylinders, pistons, gaskets, labor etc. I was glad cause I didn't have that kind of money as the bill was over $1000.00 Of course, you could always put the money it would cost for warranty in the bank and earn interest and if nothing happens, you would be ahead of the game "with toy money for chrome goodies"!

I just bought a 2008 Ultra and paid cash and still bought a 5 year warranty (1) because it was cheaper to buy when buying bike new and (2) I just want to not have to worry about big dollar repair bills.

My warranty was not honored because I did the 1,000 mile service. I talked to another dealer who said I got screwed and he
would try to get the bike fixed under warranty. The moco denied the warranty again. The bike was 6 months old with 2,000 miles on it.

My warranty was not honored because I did the 1,000 mile service. I talked to another dealer who said I got screwed and he
would try to get the bike fixed under warranty. The moco denied the warranty again. The bike was 6 months old with 2,000 miles on it.

not honored cause you did the 1k m. instead of dealer?? what was wrong with the scoot?

Here's some food for thought. On the HD home page under "service checkup" in the drop downs, If you enter the mileage and vin number, it will say this on the bottom of the page. I have argued this point with a service adviser and he unfortunately could not come up with a valid answer.:D

Harley-Davidson | Products | Wrenching Department | Service Check-Up

I know that I am probably AS qualified or maybe more so than some of the mechanics I have seen working at the dealers.

NOTES
spacer.gif

1. Should be performed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, unless you have the proper tools, service data and are mechanically qualified
spacer.gif

2. Disassemble, lubricate and inspect every 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers)
spacer.gif

3. Change D.O.T. 4 and flush brake system every two years

I’m not a real big warranty guy and usually bypass them on most low dollar items, but I got the warranty for much the same reason Vibratinharley did, I didn’t want to be stuck with payments and a huge repair bill.

JBK

not honored cause you did the 1k m. instead of dealer?? what was wrong with the scoot?
The rear wheel and hub came apart. I did bring up the Magnuson Moss act and the moco said they are aware of it and are
betting I do not not have the time to pursue litigation. Also they said they are not concerned with repeat business from their customers.

The rear wheel and hub came apart. I did bring up the Magnuson Moss act and the moco said they are aware of it and are
betting I do not not have the time to pursue litigation. Also they said they are not concerned with repeat business from their customers.

That is crazy. I would like to see dealers like this put out of business. :bigsmiley19:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back