free website stats program 2 maintenance questions | Harley Davidson Forums

2 maintenance questions

Trek

On the torque values such as 30-60 in/lbs what do you use? I went with the higher value.

I just did my 1000 mile service and the manual said to replace the derby cover gasket, is that really necessary? I did but the one I replaced looked good to me. I also went ahead and replaced all the drain plug o-rings.

30-60 in/lbs is quite a spread. In a case like that I would use closer to the 30 lbs myself. It depends on what the specs are for.

Replacing the derby gasket really isn't needed on a low mile service. Think they do that at the dealer? :D Bet you DO get charged for one in any event.

That was my thought. I kept the original do you I could use it on my next oil change?

With that low miles on it, you probably could, The silicone ring on the gasket is quite resilient and can be reused a few times.

as glider said depends what you are tightening derby screws 60in pds bit much .. as for the gasket i usually look at it and see how they look and if they are starting to get oil soaked on the edges

I use a value exactly in the middle of the recommended range and no, I do not replace the gaskets and o-rings every time if they look OK.

I consider the work involved if the gasket would start to leak after reinstall. As for the derby gasket, very little work, no oil loss, so I would use the old one if it looks good.:)

I also would spilt the torque and go with 45 in lbs., and would reuse the gasket especially because if it did weep or leak no big deal to change it.

I'm no expert but its my thought that if you check torques at the lower spec you will not break the lock-tite if applied already to a thread.

Thanks everyone,
Bud I noticed you said you check to see if it is getting oil soaked, on the o-rings the manual says to put a film of oil on them before you reinstall but it didn't say that for the derby cover gasket is that because there is no twisting motion on the gasket when tightening? Is it suppossed to go on dry?

Back