free website stats program 2 different oil amounts for the 96 C.I. Engine? | Harley Davidson Forums

2 different oil amounts for the 96 C.I. Engine?

Can anyone tell me why my wife's 07 Low rider takes 3 qts of oil and my new 09 RG says it takes 4? Same exact engine right or am I missing something. It is even written in the owners manuals this way.
Thanks

That's the differance between a A motor and a B motor. The softail is the B and has a different oiling system.

Can anyone tell me why my wife's 07 Low rider takes 3 qts of oil and my new 09 RG says it takes 4? Same exact engine right or am I missing something. It is even written in the owners manuals this way.
Thanks

There both "A" motors but the pans are different. The dyna line uses 3 qts and the bagger uses 4 qts, of course this is if they were a dry fill otherwise it's a 1/2 qt less in each.

The"B"motor has a bit less HP because of the parasitic load of the balancers and drive.

I have changed the oil twice in her Dyna and have never put a full 3qts back in it. Thanks for the answers, I wonder what harleys reasoning is behind different size oil pans, is it just to fit them into the frames?

I have changed the oil twice in her Dyna and have never put a full 3qts back in it. Thanks for the answers, I wonder what harleys reasoning is behind different size oil pans, is it just to fit them into the frames?

supposedly bigger pan for bagger for more oil so hopefully it will be a bit cooler

Back