free website stats program 2 days with windshield, pros and cons | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2 days with windshield, pros and cons

Best of both worlds with my quick disconnect ws. on gives more endurance to the physical ride and my hearing, off when I get there or around town. I like the looks of the ws on mine. Of course my bike looks great no matter what i do to her...:)

I still maintain that the windshield itself has nothing to do with the buffetting, except it creates a low pressure area behid the shield so air rushes up from underneath thus creating the buffetting.
I added the chrome fang type lower wind deflectors to mine and the buffetting is gone. I prefer the looks without them, but they work.

You can see whats happening on a video here:
Jack Halterman's Leather AeroVest, windshielding accessories for bikers, motorcycle riders
click on the video icon right below the picture of the vest.

I still maintain that the windshield itself has nothing to do with the buffetting, except it creates a low pressure area behid the shield so air rushes up from underneath thus creating the buffetting.
I added the chrome fang type lower wind deflectors to mine and the buffetting is gone. I prefer the looks without them, but they work.

You can see whats happening on a video here:
Jack Halterman's Leather AeroVest, windshielding accessories for bikers, motorcycle riders
click on the video icon right below the picture of the vest.

I have one of thos vests and believe it or not, they really do work well in keeping the turbulence down behind the shield. Excellent quality too, under priced if you ask me.

This will probably be a bit repetitive since you guys have covered this well. But as far as needing any additional wind deflectors I have not noticed any need for them. I've only had a few days of experience with windshields. But I did a lot of research before I bought one. Buffeting was explained to me as the lifting wind that tries to pull your helmet up or off and in some descriptions knocks your head around as the vacuum (spoke of in previous post ) is trying to fill up. Everyone told me if you get the measurement right on the height then you won't have buffeting.

In my case that appears to be absolutely correct. Because I don't feel any lift or knock in my head area. In fact I feel the same whether I ride slow, medium or 85 mph. The shield is fabulous. Before I had the sheild anything over 60mph beat me up over time. Now I don't get beat up at all. I find myself going faster before I even realize it because I just don't notice the speed as much.

Also starting out early on cool mornings ain't so chilly like they used to be in a Tee shirt. I love it, I don't ever want to ride again without a shield. My bike doesn't look quite as lean and mean as it used to, but neither do I. Even around town I'm gonna keep the shield on. It has changed my whole riding experience.

R W B, There is a difference between buffeting and being blown around a bit. I started out with a bar mounted smaller sheild b/c I didn't want to "detract" from the bike. I quickly learned what buffeting was all about. I ended up pulling over and strapping that shield to my sissy bar to get home. It was the WORST. It actually feels like your eyeballs are getting shaken like a paint can.

I found a great deal here on a MOCO quick detach sheild (thanks TommyLT). It indeed looks a lot better on the bike than that silly little bar mounted job. There was no buffeting but there was a decent amount of air coming under the tank and giving me some helmet lift. I added lowers and that pretty much cured it all.

It's a softail standard. So, I've got the smaller forks and front end. I'm very pleased with the setup I've got now. Even though it's a quick release the only time I take it off is to clean it and the bike. Enjoy!

R W B, There is a difference between buffeting and being blown around a bit. I started out with a bar mounted smaller sheild b/c I didn't want to "detract" from the bike. I quickly learned what buffeting was all about. I ended up pulling over and strapping that shield to my sissy bar to get home. It was the WORST. It actually feels like your eyeballs are getting shaken like a paint can.

I found a great deal here on a MOCO quick detach sheild (thanks TommyLT). It indeed looks a lot better on the bike than that silly little bar mounted job. There was no buffeting but there was a decent amount of air coming under the tank and giving me some helmet lift. I added lowers and that pretty much cured it all. ... .... ... ... .. ... .. Enjoy!

Yep, I thought hard about getting one of those smaller shields for the same reasons. I could not find any definitive info on them after an exhaustive effort so I chose to not purchase one and starting looking at the Memphis slims. The front end on my bob is small and didn't want the shield to over shadow the bike. I liked the Memphis slims but could not get it in the ht I wanted. National Cycle also had one I liked but similar problem with ht's offered and price was much higher.

Rifle really came thru for me with what I needed. Acutally I would have loved to have had time to search the swap meets for a cheap used shield and cut it down to fit my needs but wasn't finding one and needed a shield quick so had to shell out the bucks.

I understand in some applications and scenarios the lowers do solve the problem for uplift. But on my bike I don't feel any lift or discomfort at all. I'm like almost riding in my truck with the window down. It's way better than I ever expected. Course there is the possibility that after the several long distance 70mph rides I had made previous to having my shield (some on windy days) that I got so beat up that I just would not know helmet lift if I felt it LOL.

I still have a hearing problem though on real long rides. Yesterday I made a round trip of about 170 miles most at 70mph. And I wore ear plugs the whole trip but when I got home I still could not make out the voices on the TV or radio, all sounded like static. It's the wind that does it since I can ride all day around town and I don't have any problem. I am obviously slowy going deaf due to some sort of inner ear deterioration as I age. Just one of those things. I am not stopping riding my bike for sure. Might have to start wearing a sign that says hollar I'm deaf though.

Yep. My ears are suffering too. Ain't aging great? I picked up Z1R 3/4 helmet for $40/new. It's been raining hard all week, but I should get a chance to test the new lid today. I love my shorty but it may get shelved. I'm in the country and most of my rides consist of hitting an interstate or at least major highway. I'm also looking at a communication device for me and the wife so I figured I should bite on the 3/4.

Yep. My ears are suffering too. Ain't aging great? I picked up Z1R 3/4 helmet for $40/new. .. .. .. .. ... I'm also looking at a communication device for me and the wife so I figured I should bite on the 3/4.

I just bought a second helmet (a 3/4) brand new for $69. Course it ain't a Z1R. I like the Hawk helmets, got 2 of um, one full face modular and the 3/4. The full face is just too hot for summer riding. The both have the flip down (inside) sun shield (looks kinda like a jet pilot thing) in addition to the normal clear shield. I love it for riding into the sun. I have to have a clear normal shield or I can't see at night.

We have the SEMA communication setup but we haven't used it much. We really should use it more. Just seems we go riding without bothering with it.
We bought it over Scala since I read Scala's had a VOX problem and the SEMA's VOX is manually over ridable wtih a tap on the controls.

OP I don't mean to get off thread topic just trying to be informative.

What is nice about an easily removable windscreen is you can have the best of both worlds. I wouldn't think about riding any real distance without it installed....but like around town riding without it.

Back