free website stats program 2 Bolts on Rear Fender Touching Seat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2 Bolts on Rear Fender Touching Seat

Thanks for the info! The seat is a 2 up one piece seat not a solo. It has the fastback style passenger area. The seat will install but there is a little pressure when installing the rear fender nut. When you loosen the nut the rear of the seat will rise up about an inch. I will call Lepera.
WAP.gif

All of my seats need a little pressure on the seat tab. You can tell if those bolt heads are the problem by putting a dab of clay,grease, chalk, paint, etc on the bolt heads and put the seat in place. Sit on it, then remove and see if the marker material has transferred to the seat base.

P.S. I would have recommended a piece of carbon paper & paper, but I haven't seen any in several decades. :p

Thanks for the info! The seat is a 2 up one piece seat not a solo. It has the fastback style passenger area. The seat will install but there is a little pressure when installing the rear fender nut. When you loosen the nut the rear of the seat will rise up about an inch. I will call Lepera.
WAP.gif

OK, my previous does not apply. The rise up when loosening the nut would not bother me but I would put a piece of duct tape on the seat pan over the area the two studs would contact. Bolt the seat down and take it for a ride. If the duct tape shows no evidence of contact, no worries.:D

Spoke with Lepera and they said to lower the bolts a little. I also tried the anti sease On the bolts and both show on the bottom of the seat. I put a washer behind each bolt to lower them a little.
WAP.gif

That MUCH of a lift on the rear seat would ALSO upset me AS Well as the seat Manufacturer I am sure.

I'd remove and do a plug on those two bolt holes, keeping the Rise No More than a 1/16 of an inch above fender... Just like many members mentioned above...:s

Let us know what the seat people say...:small3d026: WOOPS I skipped a whole Page and answered EARLY,,,,But what the Hay.....

signed....BUBBIE

What? Washer ? Don't understand that...

Do You Mean Removed the Washers?

Looking at the picture on the front page. That might be enough to get the heads low enough to Not bend for future Damage...

Ran out of TIME for the first post reply to change anything much............. Darn Timer... and TOO slow typing...:shock

signed....BUBBIE

Spoke with Lepera and they said to lower the bolts a little. I also tried the anti sease On the bolts and both show on the bottom of the seat. I put a washer behind each bolt to lower them a little.
WAP.gif

Those two studs are attached to a stud plate on the underside of the fender. The right side of the stud plate is shaped to hold the wire harness that supplies power to the tail light/turn signals. You cannot remove the two studs without removing the plate without removing the rear tire. Best move would be to take a Dremel tool to the two studs and shorten them sufficiently so there is no contact between the studs and the seat; don't know how much that is.:unsure:

It looks like the bolts come up through with a nut. Can you remove the bolts one at a time, put them down through and put the nut on the bottom?

MAYBE Not a good option in some minds BUT could you drill out to fit OR a radius off the seat bottom (not all the way thru) to help clear the heads on the Seat Bottom where they touch?:shock

signed....BUBBIE

MAYBE Not a good option in some minds BUT could you drill out to fit OR a radius off the seat bottom (not all the way thru) to help clear the heads on the Seat Bottom where they touch?:shock

signed....BUBBIE

Best idea I've see here BUBBIE, good thinking.:s

Back