free website stats program 2 amps to much? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2 amps to much?

It is just a sales gimmick to get your cash.
.)

Dan, I may not understand correctly but are you saying if I was to remove a known good charged lead/acid battery and leave it on my work bench for a year, without ever charging it, it would not hurt or sulfate the plates in any way?

Whole technology based on battery charging has developed, along with battery technology used. Voltage level, Current draw, Temperature delta (if sensor built into battery), Time to full charge, the list is long. Whether they use simple diode logic to turn on/off operation or microprocessor control all makes this business way too complicated for seemingly simple technology to the novice or layman.

As Chopper pointed out, the key matching the charger to the type of battery technology you are using. Ultimately, the rider does not have a whole R&D department at his disposal, so the simple answer is to go with matching the charger to the given battery application...period. The key here is CHOICE...! The Battery Tender is made for LEAD ACID type batteries AGM or not, as the charge current is very low and made to supplement the SURFACE CHARGE design of those batteries. GEL CELLS are lead acid of a sort, but because some of their technology is "proprietary" one should not "assume" one type is good for all.

Just saying the choice is up to you...if push comes to shove, bite the bullet and buy what is deemed appropriate by the manufacturer of both charger and battery recommendaton. We do this all the time with our Harleys, the battery being made by a single sourced vendor/supplier is no different.

It is interesting. I have not owned an Odyssey or Optima but if you look up the individual cell voltages of both batteries they are slightly different than lead acid cells nominal voltage. It's no big deal when using them on a charging system in a bike because plus or minus 1/2 volt is an everyday reality. But for indefinite or extended trickle applications, I would think that small amount will make a big difference.(?)
I am going to be near the Battery Tender plant next week and will stop by and pick their brain.
It's worth finding out what their take on it is.

Hoop, let us know what they say, I think there is a lot of mis information about batteries

Hoop, let us know what they say, I think there is a lot of mis information about batteries

I took a ride out to Deltran (home of the Battery Tender) to see if I find out some info on how well suited their Battery Tender chargers are for the current AGM (Optima, Odyssey) batteries.
AGM batteries have a much tighter (and different) charge, float, maintenance rate than standard flooded lead acid batteries. It is well documented that you really should not use a conventional lead acid battery charger on the new AGM batteries for **indefinite or long term charging.**

They are friendly people with great answers. Rather than make one specific charger for the new AGM batteries, and another for conventional lead acid batteries, Deltran, working with designers from both battery companies decided to write the firmware used in their Tender chargers for an AGM battery…..so the current charger software that is installed in all new current charges is written for AGM batteries. Charger float & maintenance charge rates for lead acid batteries are much wider specs than AGM batteries. By writing the software specifically for AGM batteries, you will also be in the proper flooded lead acid window rates.

Got to admit, that was a clever way around the challenge. I was told that the only battery you can Not use a Tender on is a true paste Gel cell battery.

This new firmware went into effect appox 3-4 years ago so any charger that is manufactured before 2006 may be downlevel and should only be used well with flooded lead acid.

Back