free website stats program 2 amps to much? | Harley Davidson Forums

2 amps to much?

09 deluxe

I have a battery maintainer, that my Dad bought me. I was wondering if I could use it to maintain my Deluxe battery. It has 2A on it, and I assume this is 2 amps. Is this to much power for my bike battery? I thought I had read something about .75 to 1.5 being the range, but I can't remember.

Any ideas everyone.
thanks

I agree with Glider. The Battery Tender is different than most because it actually uses a micro-controller & firmware to determine state of charge, unlike almost all normal trickle chargers that will continue to charge batteries even after the battery is fully charged.

There is only 1 question that I wonder about using the Tenders Charges. As far as I know, the firmware is written to only accommodate the charging characteristics of typical lead acid batteries. I don't know how it will handle dry spiral & paste batteries like the Odyssey or Optima because the final charging voltages on these batteries are slightly different than wet cell batteries. I have been meaning to call them and ask because I can't see how 1 software program would work for all types of batteries.(?)

Good question Hoop, be sure to let us know what they say. Possibly the voltage is what determines the charge rate and the battery makes no difference? Just thinking out loud here.

I agree with Glider. The Battery Tender is different than most because it actually uses a micro-controller & firmware to determine state of charge, unlike almost all normal trickle chargers that will continue to charge batteries even after the battery is fully charged.

There is only 1 question that I wonder about using the Tenders Charges. As far as I know, the firmware is written to only accommodate the charging characteristics of typical lead acid batteries. I don't know how it will handle dry spiral & paste batteries like the Odyssey or Optima because the final charging voltages on these batteries are slightly different than wet cell batteries. I have been meaning to call them and ask because I can't see how 1 software program would work for all types of batteries.(?)

Don't know about the Battery Tender used on Odessey Battery, but Odessey recommends ONLY their charger and explains why on their website. So even though it would probably work, if you already paid the premium for the Odessey/Optima I would spring for their recommended charger...just intuitive not necessarily because of prior knowledge or prior experience JMO. :newsmile093:

This is interesting, Sears now has a Platinum series battery similar to the Napa odysey , they want u to use a special charger for this battery also

This is interesting,

It is interesting. I have not owned an Odyssey or Optima but if you look up the individual cell voltages of both batteries they are slightly different than lead acid cells nominal voltage. It's no big deal when using them on a charging system in a bike because plus or minus 1/2 volt is an everyday reality. But for indefinite or extended trickle applications, I would think that small amount will make a big difference.(?)
I am going to be near the Battery Tender plant next week and will stop by and pick their brain.
It's worth finding out what their take on it is.

A special charger needed for a certain model battery, if that is true, do you also have to buy a new alternator for your bike? It is just a sales gimmick to get your cash.
If your bike has no power draw when it is not running, and the battery is healthy, you don`t need any type of charger/tender on the battery ( I understand some bikes do have a slight power draw for alarms etc in which case a tender makes sense.)

Back