free website stats program 1'st Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

1'st Harley

I am purchasing my first Harley tomorrow it is a 1997 dyna lowrider I've always heard Harley beat there own self up from vibration I'm wondering if there is much truth to that. Also the motor was freshened up at 40000 miles cam lifters gasket
Is this particular bike good for long rides.

I am purchasing my first Harley tomorrow it is a 1997 dyna lowrider I've always heard Harley beat there own self up from vibration I'm wondering if there is much truth to that. Also the motor was freshened up at 40000 miles cam lifters gasket
Is this particular bike good for long rides.

You will probably get different answers on your question. Long rides, depends on how long you mean. I have ridden a buddies 2004 Dyna, only 5 gears and mid controls, I did not like it, not as comfortable as my softail which has 6 gears and forward controls. and a better seat. Being your first Harley go for it, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Probably the most comfortable Harleys are the touring classes should you decide not to purchase the Dyna. Good Luck!

I agree with Russ, A Dyna is a decent bike but for long rides ya can't beat a bagger. As this is your 1st Harley the Dayna should fit the bill and you can always trade up in the future.

I have ridden my '92 Dyna 60+ thousand happy miles, Canada to Key West (not same trip). At highway speed, it's smooth enough for the driver. I've never had a passenger love it. With saddlebags and windshield I was (still am) completely happy with the bike. Don't be alarmed at how much the engine jumps around at idle, it smooths out quickly. The main reason my bagger is better on long trips is it's weight, and some ergonomic differences (ok, tunes also).

Welcome. here is my history on riding HD.
First HD I road was a friends Heritage Softail.
It was a short ride and I found it very comfy, so much that when I got home from that trip I bought a new RKC.
I do most of my, our rides, long distance with some in town. We are on our 3rd Ultra now.
Try out a few different models to see what fits you for the type of riding you plan on doing.

Last edited:
Dyna's are great bikes,I'm on my 2nd now,and that is after having 2 touring bikes.You can do anything with them,riding across the country,or just using everyday.That being said,I would be wary of buying anything that is twenty years old.

Welcome from So. Texas. The Dyna is a rubber mount Evo so don't worry about it beating itself apart. The Evo is also a very strong/durable motor. As stated above long trips shouldn't be a problem. I had a '96 that I put 108K miles on and never had the heads off.
Enjoy your new ride.
tourbox

Welcome, You have an EVO powered Dyna
IMO the better engine
The Dyna is the platform HD uses for upgrades cept for the new M* engine, it will not fit the frame
Enjoy your Dyna I rode my Streetbob from FLA to Sturgis and back Ride safe

My first HD was a '91 Dyna (Sturgis - FXDB-S). I still have that bike and love it. It is in the garage on the (long) list waiting for a total overhaul.

First things first - buy a Factory Service Manual for you model and year.

The Dyna is a great day tripper bike and a great starter bike IMHO. Fun, easy to ride, lighter than most baggers, carburetor (love those Keihin carbs!), simple (few electronic junk to debug) and a DIY's dream.

I would NOT be worried about the age of the bike especially if the refresh at 40K was done by someone competent. Just check the obvious (no accident damage, tires good, nothing leaking badly, etc.). I would think that Stage 1 has been done by now, but if not then add that to the wish list. I would plan on doing ALL fluids right away including brake fluid (two reservoirs), oil filter and spark plugs (I like Champion). Check the meat left on the brake pads. If not doing Stage 1, check that the air cleaner element is clean (clean it if serviceable or replace) and see when the battery was last changed out. If 5 years or more, put that on the wish list. Get a battery tender and wire it up so you can keep it plugged in when not riding. Put heavy duty battery cables on the wish list. Check out the shocks and fork to make sure neither end is leaking. Shocks on the rear are a piece of cake to swap out (just do them one side then the other). Front forks are a bit more to do, but still simple. If the bike has been sitting, dump the gas and get some fuel system cleaner to add to the next few fill ups. Lube the neck bearings. Check out the ignition system, and if OEM, then put an electronic one on the wish list (I have Spyke w/single fire Spyke coil, but they may not make ignition modules anymore).

All the rest of the stuff is mostly cosmetic and tweaking it up to be YOUR ride.

Cheers,

TQ

My wife rides a 94 dyna wide glide with about 65k miles on the clock as it is rubber mounted is a lot smoother than my softail we usually ride from Scotland to Germany every summer bikes get there and back usually without issue we usually try not to do more than 350 miles per day but on occasion we get distracted as we are on vacation and not a race to the finish

Brian

Back