free website stats program 1st & 2nd gear only | Harley Davidson Forums

1st & 2nd gear only

kennyw

happy new year to you all.
have nt used my 2005 sporty custom for a week or 2 due to snow,snow gone so let me out , little problem i can only get 1st & 2nd gears,the shifter seems to be hitting a brick wall when i tried to get into 3rd,the bike was fine when i last rode it,any ideas please:)

Yes, check fluid (level-OK) & shifter rod (bent/adjustment) & if they're good might want to dump tranny oil to look for other (more expen$ive) problems. Hope it's not the latter ($pendy) - good luck!

thanks for all your advice,i shall start going through them
:newsmile047:

thanks guys for all your help,problem is now solved,trans oil was fine linkage was slighley bent,undone all connecting roads give them a good clean out,re assembled & presto i'm on the road again
regards to you all
kennyw

Last edited by a moderator:
You may think this is nuts but look around the shift linage for anything some rodent may have stuck in there. look all over I know two riders this has happended to

GOOD CALL SARG.........

One of my CHROME engine head bolt caps popped off and did exactly that: lodged on top of tranny and STOPPING shift fork linkage..... I could not shift in or out of any gear while on a trip up in Flagstaff Az....... ready to call the tow truck, one last LOOK i noticed it...

signed....BUBBIE

Back