1st & 2nd gear only

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by kennyw, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kennyw

kennyw Active Member

happy new year to you all.
    have nt used my 2005 sporty custom for a week or 2 due to snow,snow gone so let me out , little problem i can only get 1st & 2nd gears,the shifter seems to be hitting a brick wall when i tried to get into 3rd,the bike was fine when i last rode it,any ideas please:)

2. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

Hows the tranny fluid level?Take a look at the shift linkage adjustment.Is it loose, possibly bent?

3. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Yes, check fluid (level-OK) & shifter rod (bent/adjustment) & if they're good might want to dump tranny oil to look for other (more expen$ive) problems. Hope it's not the latter ($pendy) - good luck!

4. kennyw

kennyw Active Member

thanks for all your advice,i shall start going through them
    :newsmile047:

thanks guys for all your help,problem is now solved,trans oil was fine linkage was slighley bent,undone all connecting roads give them a good clean out,re assembled & presto i'm on the road again
    regards to you all
    kennyw

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

GOOD CALL SARG.........

One of my CHROME engine head bolt caps popped off and did exactly that: lodged on top of tranny and STOPPING shift fork linkage..... I could not shift in or out of any gear while on a trip up in Flagstaff Az....... ready to call the tow truck, one last LOOK i noticed it...

signed....BUBBIE