free website stats program 1999 Ultra w/M&M fuel injection grief | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Ultra w/M&M fuel injection grief

wannaride

I have a 1999 Ultra with the M&M fuel injection & it is flooding out all the time & runs poorly. Last year I replaced the injectors, engine temp sensor & adjusted my TPS & got it running ok, drop in fuel mileage down to 30-40 from 45-50. I had bought a Baro sensor & intake air temp sensor but had not put them on until it acted up this year. Seems when it turns cold out, it runs poorly, missing & popping. I put the baro sensor & the intake air temp sensor in it & then got a TPS since when it wouldn't start I messed with the TPS & I could at least get it running. But no matter where I put the TPS (it will set the light if I go too far either direction) it runs poorly. I pull the spark plugs & they are wet, so I dry them off & dry out the cylinders & it runs ok for about a minute (maybe less) & when I recheck, the plugs are wet again. I also replaced the fuel filter & the hoses inside are in great shape. I got some new SE 10mm spark plug wires & put them on since in the 30000 miles that I have owned the bike they have never been changed. Plugs have been changed also. I don't mind replacing some of the sensors since it has 83000 miles on it & it is a 1999. But aside from the computer, all the sensors that control fuel have been changed, with no difference. I did get a crank sensor but that should not affect fuel & I did pull the old one out & it looks ok. In a car if the crank sensor was bad it won't start, I would think that on a bike it would work the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Toby

Thanks Jack, but I have cleaned those holes, put on new intake gaskets also, since when I did the intake air temp sensor I rolled one of the gaskets. No more intake leaks.

Toby

Thanks Jack, but I have cleaned those holes, put on new intake gaskets also, since when I did the intake air temp sensor I rolled one of the gaskets. No more intake leaks.

Toby

Hope you get it figured out, I have worked on them all except this system:s

I would take a look at fuel pump pressure. If the pressure regulator was stuck, your fuel rail pressure would be in the high 70's which would make you rich across the board in Both cylinders.

Thanks Hoople, just not sure how I am going to hook up a fuel gauge on it. Not like I have those type of fittings, But I do agree, if the regulator is stuck, it will blow it right past the injectors. I may have been lucky last year when I replaced the injectors, but when I unplugged the rear injector & ran it, it would smooth out with some fuel added through the throttle body, where as before unplugging it, it made no difference. I will look for some adapters so I can check the fuel pressure. Thanks again.

Toby

I had a flooding, blubbering running rich problem on my 98 RK EFI. I too doubted it could be the the crank sensor but I changed it out and it fixed mt problem. It now has been 3 years and no futher problems. If you stll have the crank sensor change it out before you spend more money.

Thanks Gazrnrm I will do that. Was planning on that anyway & still am thinking of getting a cam sensor due to the age of the sensors. But I would like to also find the problem & not just throw things at it. I normally don't do that, but again, the year of the bike, I feel that when I get the money I may as well put new sensors on it before it needs them.Thanks again for all the help.

Toby

If that doesn't fix it then I suggest doing a carb conversion on it. From what I've heard once the MM system starts acting up its easier to just get rid of than to try to fix. Also it seems that good MM techs are very rare.

Had a problem with my 01, but not quite like yours. my scoot would not idle very well. did a lot of changing out parts. was already planing to change my cams and cam chains for the S&S gear drive, after doing that, my problems went away. my cam shoes were worn and this may have been causing some of my problems, anyway this seemed to fix my problems. have your cam chain shoes been replaced? could this be caused by excessive ware on them? just thought I would throw this into the mix.

Back