free website stats program 1999 RoadKing Won't Idle | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 RoadKing Won't Idle

Chume

Own a 1999 RoadKing Classic. Was running fine. Washed it. Didn't start it that night. Now, it starts, but not easy. Have read articles I found in this forum 'bout TDC codes. I followed instructions on one thread and I believe these are the codes retrieved - there are eleven if I am doing it correctly.
They begin with "d01clr...all the way in order to d10clr", and the last code is "cal 03". When I am able to get it started, it will run but not idle. As soon as I release the throttle, it dies. Thxs for any assistance.

Chume, if you go to the Self Help tab,then to Diagnostics & Fuel Inj. There item #134 is 00-03 HD Codes And Activation. These are for the engine codes. The d01-d10 are speedometer codes only. The clr stands for Clear(no code). You can also find those codes in the Self Help also. You can also activate the codes with a series of On/Off cycles with Ign. switch. That sequence may also be there. Hope this helps. Capital Jack is better at finding the archive stuff than me. Maybe he will chime in
tourbox

Thanks Bodeen, I will learn how to do that one of these days(lol)
I'm not real good with compoooters.
tourbox

Did she run and idle ok prior to the wash?
This is a possibility that happened to me on an 01 RK after a good wash but mine wouldn't even start. No codes thrown & enormous troubleshooting got me nowhere. Threw a buddys ECM in & she fired right up. After a couple weeks of my ECM sitting in a dry ACed house, I put it in again in the name of science and it worked fine. Magnetti Marelli ECM's are huge & prone to getting moisture in them.

IF IDLING Is the Only Problem....

Take it out for a Open Spaced Ride.. (not stop-n-go)

Water in and on the bike (IF the problem) should be gone after it has been wind blown and heated up. (at least 1/2 hour)

I Know I Could and Would do this, so you should be able to accomplish it also.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Thxs for the replies Bodeen and Tourbox. I tried the suggestion of Bodeen's post of May 27th, 7:21 pm. About using female spade clip to bridge pins #1 and #2 on the data connector. When I turn on the ignition, the red "engine" light comes on for a couple of seconds, goes off, and then at about 7 seconds the red "engine" light comes back on and stays on. No flashing of any kind. This mean no codes?
I tried another suggestion by someone's else's post - running the bike for about 30 minutes straight. After getting the bike started at first, had to hit the starter button several times and give it a little gas, the engine started and I was off. Upon returning home, the bike idles OK and starts OK. After it cooled down, difficult to start again.

Have you sprayed carburetor cleaner in those little holes in the throttle body? One on each side @10 & 2 o'clock.
WAP.gif

Back