free website stats program 1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach

this is the 3rd. time i've tryed to get this posted.
when you get the repairs done, flush the oil tank. i read somewhere that the
twin cam was the first harley engine that the oil goes thru the oil filter
BEFORE it goes thru the engine. good luck and ride-on

I can see the three posts brownfoxx. Post 11, post 19 and the one above mine.
Just FYI.

Thanks everyone appreciate the support. Took the oil filter off this evening, some small specs of orange and some specs of metal flake. Remove the exhaust pipe and now have the cam cover off. I was expecting to the the shoes really tore up, but this is not the case. No I am really confused. Will work on removing the plate after work tomorrow. Will need to get some tools to help with the spings and all. Will check and see if everything OK with the oil pump. Keep ya posted and keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate it. The bike has 29K. I bought it about this time last year with 14K on it. 15K in one year, not too bad for a cold weather man.

OK I read this but may have miss something, so I will ask it, when you got it home did you in fact have oil in the tank, level good?? because, as you know, no oil for the oil pump or oil pump failure 2 different things, of course both causes damage and $$.

Oil level good. Oil and filter was changed at 25K and bike has 29K now. Running straight HD 20W50. It has been very hot and humid here in Indiana, we were returning from the Wetzeland party in OHIO. Been on the road for about two hours riding on the freeway. Light came on at my exit, less than a mile from the house.

Time to take the cam plate off, what special tools will I need to complete this little project?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil level good. Oil and filter was changed at 25K and bike has 29K now. Running straight HD 20W50. It has been very hot and humid here in Indiana, we were returning from the Wetzeland party in OHIO. Been on the road for about two hours riding on the freeway. Light came on at my exit, less than a mile from the house.

Time to take the cam plate off, what special tools will I need to complete this little project?

This will give you some idea of what is involved:
Harley Davidson Community
Have a look at what Bubbie ran into:
BUBBIE'S Cam-plate update, a must read. - Harley Davidson Community

Is your bike an EVO or TC engine?? Not sure when they switched but certainly would be different info for the EVO engine. Just wondering.

If you dont have one already I would strongly recommend purchasing a service manual before you remove the cam support plate. Removing the plate will require removal of the pushrods. You have the option of cutting the ones you have and installing adjustables, or taking the top end apart and removing the rods from the top. It's cheaper to tear down the top end but also more work. Either will work fine but you need to decide which one will work best for you. As far as tools go it's mostly just your standard shop tools. You will need some oil pump alignment screws but those are relatively cheap. If you choose to remove the top end you will need some torque adapters during reinstallation due to clearance issues with the frame backbone.

If you dont have one already I would strongly recommend purchasing a service manual before you remove the cam support plate. Removing the plate will require removal of the pushrods. You have the option of cutting the ones you have and installing adjustables, or taking the top end apart and removing the rods from the top. It's cheaper to tear down the top end but also more work. Either will work fine but you need to decide which one will work best for you. As far as tools go it's mostly just your standard shop tools. You will need some oil pump alignment screws but those are relatively cheap. If you choose to remove the top end you will need some torque adapters during reinstallation due to clearance issues with the frame backbone.

I bought the service manual on the way home last night, it was purchased before I made any moves on the bike. Already made one costly mistake, dont need to make any more. I have decided to cut the pushrods with bolt cutters. Time I save in labor justifies the adjustable ones. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I am going to try and remove the plate tonight and see what is going on with the pump.

Back