free website stats program 1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach

after the repairs remember to flush the oil tank. i'd then use regualr 20x50 oil. drive it for a very short time and the switch to synthetic. i believe(i heard it somewhere) the twin cam was the first engine that the oil goes to thru the oil filter, then to the engine.
we have all done stupid things, just hope to keep that list very short.

Brownfoxx, thanks for the input. Plan is tonight as recommended by Glider, will remove the oil and oil filter. Will inspect the fluid for foriegn material. Will then remove the cam cover and inspect the cam tensioner pads.

Will provide an update on status tomorrow. Thanks.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Don't beat yourself up too bad, you made a decision that at the time you thought was the way to go. If you have an hour, I can go over all of the decisions that I have made in my 63 years that I wish I had "do overs" on. Now, onto the cam tensioners. TQ did a bang up job of outlining every step that you need to take. It's worth checking out. If you can turn a wrench, replacing the tensioners and doing the upgrade is no big deal. Remember, you can upgrade cams at this time too. Good luck and welcome to the Forum.....

We have all done dumb things in our lives. It's what makes us human. We can try & learn from our mistakes...Oh, & hope that when we do something monumentally stupid, there isn't a big crowd standing around with video cameras. Otherwise, you'll end up on YouTube...lol

Sorry, I am upset at myself more than anybody else and took it on the forum. I apologize and look forward to many years of enjoying the advice from this forum. I just need to get over this bump in my road.

Many thanks for your help.

We all can relate to where your coming from. While it is probably going to cost you some $$ for parts, you will be able to save the labor cost and you will know that the job is done exactly like you want. Everyone on the forum is pulling for you and whenever you need advice we will be right here. The only catch is that we expect you to respect all the moderators and members. In return you will be a member of the best forum on the internet.

On my 05RG I switched to gear drive at 30,000mi. I've never experienced the gear whine that some talk about and I never have to worry about chain or tensioners.

Back