1999 Road King gas consumption

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by sanec1, Jul 15, 2009.

1. sanec1

sanec1 Active Member

My reserve light comes on at around 100 miles and takes $10 Canadian to fill it up (depending on when I hit a gas station (sometimes $13 if I am in the country and its longer before I find a gas station). Ive checked the level of gas when the reserve comes on and it looks like there is about 1/4 tank. What point does your resrve come on and how many miles can I go approx. after going on reserve? Ifound the return gas line to be leaking on a ride this evening. I'm thinking this could be why I am getting low miles?
  2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

How many litres does it take when you are filling up? You have a 20 litre tank,if you know how many litres it took to go that 100 miles you can figure out your consumption
  3. shaker

shaker Active Member

My last fill-up on my 2002 RK calculated to a little over 42 mpg (18k per liter, or 5.6 liters per 100k). The last time I filled up I put in a little less that 4 gallons - no low fuel warning light which I thought strange, but then I rarely run it low. Probably should just to verify it's working.
  4. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

I also have a 99 Road King Classic with fuel injection. It has a 5 speed transmission. The newer bikes have a 6 speed. At high speeds my rpm's are up there and it feels like shifting again would be nice. I am sure a 6 speed would improve gas mileage but even with my 5 speed I get 45+ mpg on the highway. My low fuel light also comes on early and I have never ran it dry to see how long I can go. I just fill up, I would rather not run out.