free website stats program 1999 road king classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 road king classic

Nice '99 Bikerdad. How many miles do you have on it?

Jack, the bike is EFI.
There's one thing about the bike, there's not 1 spec of rust or dirt on the bike.
It's very clean. He says he keeps it that way. The bike looks new cosmetically on the exterior.

It's been garage kept since day 1, never rode in the rain.

It looks that way, but then again, he probably had it detailed.

I'm taking it to Harley Friday for an inspection and test ride.

I'll see what they say, they're suppose to make any recommendations they think the bike needs.

Then I'll base my offer off KKB and Harley's repair recommendations.
I test drove the bike twice. The bike will scat. It seems to have plenty of power, doesn't hesitate.
The only thing I seen wrong with the ride was the popping when I come off the throttle. But the more I rode the better it did seem to get.

Hopefully it just needs to be rode, that would be a bonus.

How long would you say the motor will last on these type bikes before a rebuild is needed?

Like Glider said check the mufflers for looseness this could be the popping:s

Nice '99 Bikerdad. How many miles do you have on it?

Thanks, I do my best to keep it nice. I bought it thuee years ago for $10,000.00. It had 1300 miles on it in brand new showroom condition. I now have 14,000 miles on it (limited season up north). I have made a lot of upgrades and love it and have no plans on selling it, but if I had been a member here and known about the cam tensioner problems I would have passed it by. With my current mileage, I hope to address that issue during this winter down time.

Looks nice ut I wish mine was worth that. With the mileage, you might be looking at cam chain tensioners.

This is another area to check out before they let you down. If they go, you end up loosing a motor so think of having them checked out when Harley inspects the bike. It's not a major job to check but should be at least checked with that mileage. Generally they are first checked for condition at around 20K miles. Ask the seller if he had them checked. If you need replacement, you can upgrade to the new hydraulic cam plate and eliminate the problematic older style cam chain tensioners, well worth the cost of doing the job and you have a much better setup.

Harley Davidson Community

Bike looks good w/all those upgrades, but @ $10K it should be "excellent" & there are some $pendy things to ponder (tire, bags, clutch/primary) so I'd look beyond the cosmetics & think hard on if this is the one. For that price I'm sure you can find quite a few touring bikes with similar mods + less issue(s). I'd say - get the seller to lower price (under $9K), or keep looking...

ALL 99 year TC's had the ball style drive cam bearing and IF it hasn't been changed out it is a BOMB waiting..

Figure 1000 off the price of the bike below BOOK.. 500 parts 500 labor...The repair is Not a lot of work and changing out to the hydraulic tensioners a Must do when in there...

Top end = out to 95" and do it when down for conversion.

Just my thoughts.

signed....BUBBIE

Price is in the ballpark with low miles and upgrades. I love my 99 RKC did the cam bearings and switched to hydraulic tensioners now I am good to go for many trouble free miles. Finding neutral with mine was a simple clutch adjustment and good primary fluid at proper level.

Price is in the ballpark with low miles and upgrades. I love my 99 RKC did the cam bearings and switched to hydraulic tensioners now I am good to go for many trouble free miles. Finding neutral with mine was a simple clutch adjustment and good primary fluid at proper level.

Now there's someone that has his ducks in a row!!!:D

Hey guys, hope all had a good thanksgiving. went to harley today. Man was it a bad day for me. Had the cam chain tensioners checked out, sure nuff they're wearing. Price to upgrade/fix $1500. Inside of the belt has been riding on the guard, so there's a 45 degree angle wore off 1/2 inch in, that's $924 to fix. They noted a slight wetness at rear shift shaft. I offered $8500.00 but he said for that, he'd keep it. So I guess the soga continues, I'll continue to look. I like the Black 2003 Road King Classics. Guess they would have the same problem too?

When did Harley correct the Cam chain tensioner issue? When did it start and when did it end? Just so I don't bother to get into this again.

The 07 model year was the new hydraulic tensioners that replaced the problematic ones on the baggers.

Back