free website stats program 1999 FLSTC Electrical Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 FLSTC Electrical Problem

Stator is putting out plenty. I will check the fluid and smell. Like I said, the bike starts and runs great even when it failed to start all it took was a push to get her going and I rode home some 40 miles. Something is just not letting the battery get recharged?

I bought a tester and they didn't have a digital so I bought one that has the needle bouncing back and forth. When I tested the terminals at the battery it did move but not a lot. I couldn't really say what the numbers were. Hard to hold a tester and test with all the vibration. Should have called a friend over for a beer I guess. Going to retest since I have to take seat off to work on it anyways.

Thanks for all the help and I haven't given up yet.

Cincy

Probably was excited about my mistake, easy there, inspection hole for smell, dipstick for damage...(another post) sorry!

Ok, I bought a digital meter so I am showing 12.57 between battery terminals at idle and slightly higher at above idle. I assume it is not getting enough to recharge the system.

I have been reading a lot of other articles on here and many say that if you replace a regulator you should replace the stator \ rotor at the same time?

I just want to try and understand what is working and or not working so if it goes to a shop I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

honestly, I do not know since it was with the old needle type meter. I need to retest the stator with the digital and kind of start all over.

The stator was putting the needle all the way over on the other meter no matter what setting it was on? Again, I was trying to do all this myself without and extra set of hands.

OK more info and I hope better info
Battery is testing at 13v sitting still and not running, test at 12.57 when running

Tested the regulator with a digital meter. Bike not running… got .97 back through one of the pins… (I assume this is bad)

Checked continuity and got no reading… I assume that was a good thing

Tested the stator with the bike at idle and got 25-30 and when reved up I got 65-70

I assume that the regulator is the bad part and am planning on changing that out this weekend…

Have another quick question. I was just offered a set of Sampson pipes at a very reasonable price, used, and wonder if they will fit my bike. Again I have a 99 Heritage and the Sampsons are coming off a 1994 heritage. I think they will be ok but wasn't sure if there are any sensors \ buzzers \ whistles that are on one or the other than can cause troubles. I'm thinking $50. I can't go wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I installed the new regulator and it is putting out 14.7 at the battery. I hope that solves my troubles but if not... I will continue

Thanks for the suggestions and comments

Back