free website stats program 1999 FLHR Carburetor Sputter - HELP!! | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 FLHR Carburetor Sputter - HELP!!

dtreat

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and have a quick question I hope someone can answer. I have a 1999 Road King FLHR with about 20K miles. I bought it a few months ago. The guy told me that he had the carburetor re-jetted. I noticed that it will sometimes belch back through the carburetor. At first I thought it was just when it was cold but then noticed that it would happen even after riding 30 miles. It seems to only happen during accelleration and it doesn't happen all the time. I was wondering if it could be an airflow problem as it appears to have a stock are filter on it. I have read some posts that indicate that you need to be careful in changing air/fuel components and need to make sure they're matched as much as possible. Should I get a higher performance air filter if the carburetor has been jetted?

If it's popping back through the carb, it could be a jetting problem or even an accelerator pump problem. Make sure that the accelerator pump is giving you a healthy squirt into the carb when you open the throttle.

As far as the jetting, without opening up the carb and seeing what is in there, it's hard to tell what you need. You can put a stage 1 intake on it and rejet the carb to a 45/46 low jet and about a 180/185 main jet and it should run good.

Take a look here.

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

When you check the accelerator pump squirt like Glider said, see that it is shooting the gas straight down the middle of carb.throat. Also, give it small throttle openings from cruising opening to passing like you would when riding. This will tell you more than off/wide open squirts. I have had problems with a couple acc.pumps on bikes that had set a while, they got gummy. Very easy to disassemble, new acc. pumps are cheap too.

At what throttle position does it start to act up, that will tell you whether you need to look at main jet or pilot jet, also made something got screwed up when it was put back together.

It seems to act up at about 1/4 throttle. It barely begins to rev when it sputters.

Thanks for the info Glider I will check it out.

CVThrottlepositions2.jpg

I would go through the carb, also check the pilot jet to make sure its not clogged and that it is big enough, also check the fuel air mixture adjustment.

Another thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen after the bike has been sitting for a few days without being started.

Another thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen after the bike has been sitting for a few days without being started.

Hmmm. Try a couple of things:

Get a clear glass jar and open up the carb bowl dump catching the gas in the jar. Anything in it? Like water?

Open up the gas tank fill and get a flashlight AND your eyeball in there to peek at the bottom of the tank especially around the filter/valve. Stuff in there? If there is crud or water in the tank or you got stuff out of the float bowl, get some additives designed to clean the tank and dry the gas and add some for the next few fill-ups. Better yet, dump this gas and use it in the lawn mower. Buy some new clean 93 octane gas and strain it as you refill the tank. Put the additives in it too.

If all that checks out, I would do as has been suggested above. Rebuild the carb and the accelerator pump. Very easy stuff, but it will let you see what jets are in the carb. Go with Gliders suggestions as the starting point.

TQ

Attachments

• CV Keihin Acc pump mixture screw.jpg
    CV Keihin Acc pump mixture screw.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back