free website stats program 1999 Fatboy Oil Leak EVO Engine | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Fatboy Oil Leak EVO Engine

Pointman

I am looking at buying a 1999 Fatboy and it has a small oil leak up front. The leak looks like it is below the rocker box about mid way down. I understand that this is a common leak in EVO engines. How much trouble is it to replace the gasket? Does the engine have to be pulled to repair this problem or can it be done without engine removal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a 1995 FLHT for many years that I had to sell a few years ago. I've been missing my Harley ever since. Now I have the opportunity to buy the Fatboy at a bargin price, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this.

Thanks in advance!

Harold

You say it is below the rocker box and half way down, I assume you don't mean half way down the rocker box but instead down the cylinder which could be the head gasket. Either of which can be done without engine removal.

Yeah, about half way down the cylinder. I haven't studied the engine break down, and I didn't get a picture of the leak. (I didn't pay a lot of attention when the owner showed it to me...) It looked like it would be about where the head gasket should be. How much trouble will it be to replace? Any ideas of about what the professional cost would run on this repair if I don't tackle it myself? The price is low on the bike and it only has 11,500 miles on it.

Thanks for your assistance!

Harold

It's not a major job depending on your qualifications as a wrench. As far as cost, dealers have a large range in hourly rates around the country so it would be hard to estimate what the job would run if done by a dealer. They range from around $60 - over $100 per hour in some areas.

Best bet would be to call the local dealer and ask for a price to replace a head gasket on your model.

Thanks! I'll check it out further. The bike looks great. Engine runs good and smooth, its just seeping oil there in that one location. I am planning on buying it Tuesday if everything works out.

Thanks again,

Harold

Smitty

The common problem with the evo's leaking was the base gaskets on the cylinders and rocker box gaskets, they had a 3 piece rocker cover on them that was later revised with a two piece on the TC engines for ease of maintenance. Sooner or later you'll usually see some seeping/leakage on a lot of them.

most likely rocker cover gaskets are leaking; probably $200 at HD to fix; if its the cylinder head gaskets, you'll end up pulling the jugs and replacing the base gaskets as
well as the cylinder head gaskets, too ... which then suggests - is it time for honing / rebore / new psitons, etc etc ... pray that it's just the rocker cover gaskets!

For a base gasket leak get some Permatex Flowable Glass Sealer. Run a thin bead at the base. Let it dry for 24 hours. It will stop that leak till you can get around to replacing the gasket. I have done it and it works.
Milan

Back