free website stats program 1999 DFT Trike | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 DFT Trike

EnjoyingTheRyde

What should I expect to pay for a 1999 Ultra Classic converted using a DFT independant suspension kit? The trike is clean and has 33,000 miles on it. My wife is considering selling her Can Am and going back to HD but wants to stay on three wheels.
WAP.gif

There are quite a few things you have to do to figure that price out. You will want to look the Ultra up in Kelly Blue Book to see the value of the bike. Without looking at the prices of a DFT kit. I remember a kit was around 18K. It also depends on when the kit was built and installed on the Ultra. I for one have a DFT rear. There is something that you must absolutely look at on that type of rear. The main bottom control arms. You'll see that the steel thickness of the control arms are what look like 1/4" steel, have been known to break. Thats right,... Snap! It happened to me and another when I looked to see if this happened to anyone else. Just make sure the undercarriage of the DFT rear is spotless. This will allow you to closely examine the control ares for cracks. DFT, even though the design is a work of art. The designer had the steel sections Im referring about, made in China and they dont inspect their work, they have been known to use crumby steel. Also you need to take a close look at where the bearings are in the suspension. The designer of the DFT rear. Didnt allow an indentation to allow for rubber seals to enclose the bearings and used "O" rings to cover those bearings. Which are useless to think they are keeping road grime and water out of the bearings. The easiest way to keep the undercarriage clean is to pressure wash it and one application of cleaning it this way will result in getting water in the bearings of the suspension if your not extremely careful. Here is what the break in the control arm looks like.
293837_2072513689900_8208226_n.jpg

292429_2072513769902_6225209_n.jpg

Here's where the bearings are that need attention when washing the undercarriage.
292745_2072513889905_6072418_n.jpg

Heres a closer picture of what you need to look at.

294125_2072514009908_7038295_n.jpg

In the above picture. Under all that road grime and old grease is where they used just an "O" ring to keep the bearings free of grime. It doesnt work like they wished it would. Also,...I dont know if DFT puts a raked front end on the trike your looking at. You need a raked front end. It will make for easier handling and steering.

What should I expect to pay for a 1999 Ultra Classic converted using a DFT independant suspension kit? The trike is clean and has 33,000 miles on it. My wife is considering selling her Can Am and going back to HD but wants to stay on three wheels.
WAP.gif

Back