free website stats program 1998 Road King vs 2002 Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

1998 Road King vs 2002 Road King

Gunther

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I've been looking for a couple of months now at buying a used Road King and I think I have narrowed it down to one of these two bikes:
A. 1998 Road King Classic with 26,000 miles, Rinehart true duals, power commander, low profile air shocks, complete chrome front end including sliders, controls, jumbo bars and internal wiring, etc, etc
or
B. 2002 Road King Classic with 24,000 miles, It's a basic stock bike with the added slip-on Screaming Eagle Pipes.

Both bikes are in excellent shape and very well cared. Also both bikes are listed for the exact same sale price.
My question is, Which Road King would be a better purchase: A or B? And is there is anything I should be concerned or aware of with either year model?

Thanks again for your time and help.
Cheers :)

There was a lot of changes made in '02 to the touring line, first year for Delphi Fuel Injection,Timken bearings,larger rear axle and swing arm bushings,slightly larger rear tire..not to mention the bigger twin cam motor vs the evo in the '98...I believe '02 was a great year mechanically for Harley compared to the previous years with all the cam bearing and stator issues.

I have a 1999 Road King Classic. I love everything about it except for the 5 speed transmission. At 70 MPH on the highway I would like to be able to shift again to bring the RPM's down. I think the 02 would give you that.

I have a 1999 Road King Classic. I love everything about it except for the 5 speed transmission. At 70 MPH on the highway I would like to be able to shift again to bring the RPM's down. I think the 02 would give you that.

02' was still a 5speed, and I believe the gearing was the same.

IMP the 02 is the better of the deal with the TC engine and other refinements. One of the better earlier years for HD.

IMO the 02 would be the better bike. not only with the efi but also the ride quality. no comparison between the ride on a tc88 to the evo. just my 2 cents though.

Back