free website stats program 1997 Road King oil pump | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 Road King oil pump

Roadking1997

So my bike is puking oil across the garage and I did all I could. I had to break down and take it to the dealer and this is what I was told. I have a broken tooth and a key in my oil pump???? I will have to have it rebuilt? I was thinking why not just buy a new one? Now they are telling me ist a $1600 fix OUCH not sure what to do..... is this common?:newsmile077:

So my bike is puking oil across the garage and I did all I could. I had to break down and take it to the dealer and this is what I was told. I have a broken tooth and a key in my oil pump???? I will have to have it rebuilt? I was thinking why not just buy a new one? Now they are telling me ist a $1600 fix OUCH not sure what to do..... is this common?:newsmile077:

No, If you have mechanical skills and a factory manual it can be done at home. Had a friend with the same problem on a Heritage, the pump broke a gear and the bushing was destroyed. The Stealer said the motor had to come out of the frame to repair LOL, I made a puller for the bushing and used a bushing driver to re install it and rebuilt the pump on the bike and all was good. He lunched the pump in Sturgis at the Buffalo Chip LOL:s

On the 1997 how do you get the bolts out of the the back of the oil pump???

The Heritage was a 93, the bolts go thru the pump body into the crank case, you will have to pull the nose cone too, the pump shaft goes in that far and there is a cir clip in there. Depending on how much damage there is to the pump you may want to replace it with a new one your choice HD or S& S check the overhead tappet screen and clean or replace it and check the breather valve as long as you are in the cam chest I bet it is scored hope I aint scaring you:s

I just had a new oil pump installed as part of a kit to upgrade my cam chain tensioners along with new bushings and a few other parts related to the bottom end all for $1200 including labor. If I were you I would shop around if possible.

I just had a new oil pump installed as part of a kit to upgrade my cam chain tensioners along with new bushings and a few other parts related to the bottom end all for $1200 including labor. If I were you I would shop around if possible.

This is a LOT different here,,,,, His bike Is an EVO, 1997 year.... So not to compare in price from a TC to an EVO...

signed....BUBBIE

My apologies for what I said. I will use better judgement in the future. I am 54 years old and when a kid my dad taught me it was not very becoming to say some things in public. Sometimes I need to reflect back to my teachings. Thanks for your calling me on the statement.

Different setup Moto, yours is a twincam with tensioners. That would be an Evo engine. Not in same ball park. Although I agree price seems really high.

Back