free website stats program 1997 HARLEY DAVIDSON EVO WANT KEEP RUNNING | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 HARLEY DAVIDSON EVO WANT KEEP RUNNING

1997 EVO 1340 WIDEGLIDE RUNS AND THEN CUTS OFF RUNS ON ONE CYLINDER SOME TIMES

• IGNITION MODULE

• CRANK POS.SENSOR

Results are only viewable after voting.

MOJORZN

NEED HELP . BIKE WILL CRANK IN THE MORNING SOME TIMES AND SOUND LIKE ITS RUNNING ON ONE CYLINDER .PUT A NEW COIL ON IT RAN FINE FOR A WHILE THEN CUT OFF .

If the ignition module is under the nose cone then they can overheat and cut out if it is carry a can of spray duster with you next time bike cuts out open nose cone and spray with spray duster as air come out very cold will cool ignition module if bike then starts ok you will know what you have to replace
I am not sure when the ignition module was moved to be in the nose cone but on my older bikes only a trigger assembly in there and the ignition module is elsewhere

Brian

Per your survey, there is no crank positioning sensor on a '97 Evo. You have a cam sensor plate in the nose cone. The ignition module is behind the left side cover or up on the neck. fin_676 has you covered for testing the cam sensor plate. When it sounds like running on one cylinder it needs to be verified which one works & which one doesn't. If it starts running on 1 right away then wait about 1 min. and spray both exhausts near the heads. The one that fizzles quickly is working, the other should just slightly cook the water off.
tourbox

THANKS TO EVERY ONE
Per your survey, there is no crank positioning sensor on a '97 Evo. You have a cam sensor plate in the nose cone. The ignition module is behind the left side cover or up on the neck. fin_676 has you covered for testing the cam sensor plate. When it sounds like running on one cylinder it needs to be verified which one works & which one doesn't. If it starts running on 1 right away then wait about 1 min. and spray both exhausts near the heads. The one that fizzles quickly is working, the other should just slightly cook the water off.
tourbox
tourbox

THAT RESPONDED
Stock ignition module or are you running something custom like a Daytona or Hi-4?
RUNNING A CRANE CAMS HI-4

you are running Crane Cams & a Crane HI-4 ignition?. I would suspect your HI-4 ignition as your problem.
I have never run one but heard a lot of bad stories about them failing. I run a Dyna S single fire in my hard tail( which for sale, too old for a hard tail anymore) and a Dyna dual fire in my Shovel. I carry a set of points for back though-- lol.
tourbox

IIRC, on that Evo, it's a wasted spark type system where both plugs will fire at the same time. This seems odd to me that it'll only fire on one cylinder and you've changed the coil. I'm starting to suspect a possible bad spark plug wire, but not ruling out the Hi-4. Have you checked for spark by pulling and grounding the plugs when you get the no start problem. The Hi-4 will blink (red led) during cranking/running....check for that as well.

Back