free website stats program 1997 Fatboy fuel leak | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 Fatboy fuel leak

Rozz

Hello, all. New user who just posted for the first time in the meet and greet section of the site, hoping I can get some ideas on a problem.
I have an intermittent overflow issue with my carburetor. My first thought was that the float might be stuck, however, prior to tearing into the carb I thought I would check on some of the other reasons listed in the shop manual for overflow.
I see that the continuous venting system being clogged is one of the listed reasons. I have checked that line and can't find where it is pinched or cut, however it is cracked quite badly in places. I unclipped the vapor valve from its bracket and pulled the line to the other side. I then disconnected it from the tank and being careful not to pinch or crimp it I blew into the end that attaches to the tank. I would think if the line and valve are both good you could feel air coming out the end that vents to atmosphere, but could feel no discernible air issuing from it. I might could retry the experiment placing the outlet end into a cup of water to see if I can blow bubbles.
I also have an intermittent fuel flow problem that might be due to vapor lock in the system, so if this is the culprit it may cure several issues in one swoop.
Am I thinking this through correctly, or am I missing something? Do the vapor valves ever go bad or are they so simple as to be idiot proof? I would think the cracked tubing should be replaced regardless, correct?
Thanks!

Replace any bad hoses, but I'll bet the problem comes from some debris, maybe rust that is stuck in the needle and seat inside the carb. Drop the float bowl and the needle/float assy and let some fuel flow through the system into the opened up carb to flush the line out than reassemble it again after you clean the float bowl.

You could try this first before dis assembling the carb.

Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks, Glider! I just popped back over from reading about this in quick tips. Got my cart ahead of my mule and didn't look the site over well enough before posting my question. Should have known there would be something like this. Awesome site and thanks to any and all who have contributed the info contained here.

Hello, all. New user who just posted for the first time in the meet and greet section of the site, hoping I can get some ideas on a problem.
I have an intermittent overflow issue with my carburetor. My first thought was that the float might be stuck, however, prior to tearing into the carb I thought I would check on some of the other reasons listed in the shop manual for overflow.
I see that the continuous venting system being clogged is one of the listed reasons. I have checked that line and can't find where it is pinched or cut, however it is cracked quite badly in places. I unclipped the vapor valve from its bracket and pulled the line to the other side. I then disconnected it from the tank and being careful not to pinch or crimp it I blew into the end that attaches to the tank. I would think if the line and valve are both good you could feel air coming out the end that vents to atmosphere, but could feel no discernible air issuing from it. I might could retry the experiment placing the outlet end into a cup of water to see if I can blow bubbles.
I also have an intermittent fuel flow problem that might be due to vapor lock in the system, so if this is the culprit it may cure several issues in one swoop.
Am I thinking this through correctly, or am I missing something? Do the vapor valves ever go bad or are they so simple as to be idiot proof? I would think the cracked tubing should be replaced regardless, correct?
Thanks!

Check the vent hole in your fuel caop as well sometimes they get clogged and will cause fuel flow problems, also the screen on the petcock.

I actually just had similar problem. And it started happening right after I installed Kuryakin gas caps. Turns out the vented cap was sitting right on top of that little metal air breather tube inside the filling hole. I bent the tube away a little and it seemed to resolve the problem. Didn't get much riding today to verify it though. Too cold.

Back