free website stats program 1997 electra glide trans filter | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 electra glide trans filter

hatchling7

Ineed to check and or replace trans filter and oil. I do need a little help in locating the filter though any help out there?

I check my HD manual and I dont think there is a tranny oil filter or screen that requires cleaning.

All I see is a magnetic drain plug which attracts metal particles.

I believe all thats required is to clean the drain plug and change the trannny oil on a regular basis.

thanks checked manual and it said the same thing about the plug. A guy said to check the filter and i didnt think there was one. Have you heard if synthedic oil is good for the trans, or is it just preferance?

Your EVO has a tappet screen on the engine that should be cleaned with oil changes. The trans just has the usual magnetic plug.

Lifter Screen (EVO) - Harley Davidson Community

WOW !!!! ... Thanks glider . I was not aware of the oil tappet screen. I wonder how many others on this site have never bothered to clean that screen or are even aware of it.

I checked the HD manual and I have one. It's on my TO-DO list as soon as it get warmer.

thanks checked manual and it said the same thing about the plug. A guy said to check the filter and i didnt think there was one. Have you heard if synthedic oil is good for the trans, or is it just preferance?

With respect to the gear lube for your tranny, use a premium quality synthetic gear lube that is at least a GL-1, and better a GL-5. The weight should be a 75W-90 or 75W-140 depending on your normal ambient temps. There are lots of folks on here that have had good experience with the Spectro gear lubes for the tranny. See here:

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Hello, everyone says about the lifter noise at start up, mine is OK from cold, after 5 minutes it starts to rattle. Is thes the same issue or something elase? thanks Peter

Hello, everyone says about the lifter noise at start up, mine is OK from cold, after 5 minutes it starts to rattle. Is thes the same issue or something elase? thanks Peter

How many miles on the bike? What kind of engine oil are you running? Have you done what Glider suggested above and checked/cleaned your tappet screen (you can clean this with carb cleaner spray once you have it out of the hole)?

TQ

Back