free website stats program 1996 Road King Speedo Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

1996 Road King Speedo Problem

Herr

I drive a 1996 Road King with a persistant speedometer problem. When I begin a ride, the speedo works just fine for the first half hour, then the needle begins to stick and register impropperly. When I shut it down, the needle stays at 10 mph. After about an hour, things return to normal. The guys at the Harley shop tested the speedo and say it is fine. Any suggestions?
Herr

Glider,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have changed out the VSS, and I thought that solved the problem for a few rides, then the issue returned. The parts guy at the Harley shop said that VSS was the 3rd or 4th addition of the sensor, I wonder if that still may be the problem?
Herr

It usually means a newer model that should correct past deficiencies such as a A-B-C after the part number denoting a newer version of the same part and possibly from a different vendor.

What he may try in order to help narrow down the problem is check the accuracy of the odometer against highway mile markers. Since the VSS signal feeds both the speedo & odometer that will help confirm if the problem is in the speedo head or input signal (Vss). Very simple test that will help tell you where the problem is.

If the odometer registers Correctly while the speedo is going nuts, then your Know the problem is in the speedo head. Highway mile markers are very accurate and a good sources of reference.

Hoople,
Thanks for the feedback. I will try the milage marker test and try to determine if it's the VSS or the speedometer unit. Good call.
Herr

Back