1996 Fat Boy Backfiring

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by my1stharley, Jul 23, 2009.

1. my1stharley

my1stharley Banned

Im new to the forum, and to the harley davidson world. It seems to me that you are the people to go to when it comes to carb adjustments. I bought my 96 fatboy about a month ago. It has 2400 orig miles and has been pretty well taken care of. When I got it, it backfires through the carb when I first give it gas, then straightens out until I chop the throttle or the rpms get low at cruisiing speed. The previous owner installed a se kit that replaced the backing plate for the air filter and added the kn filter. I am pretty sure he didnt jet it and this is where my problem is. I am sure the rest of the bike is stock as far as performance. It may have a set of pipes or slip ons on it because it says "for offroad use only" on the back of the mufflers but im not positive of this. I have already adjusted the mixture screw, but after 4 turns out from seated I stopped because I knew it wasnt going to work. I have already did complete engine,primary, and trnny changes and also ran carb cleaner through the system as it has been ran since 2006. Been 3 or 4 tanks of premium ran through and its getting no better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good stuff here and in the heads of your fellow members.

On your bike, start here:

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

Pix here:

CV Carb Rejet Pics - Harley Davidson Community

More stuff:

CV Carb Tuning - Harley Davidson Community

Jetting CV Carbs - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

3. my1stharley

my1stharley Banned

tonight I tore the carb apart and put the 2 washers in. I havent jetted it or nothing, and I havent got to ride it as it was so late and the neighbors are already hating my loud bike. lol. I did start it up and it started tho so thats a plus. Ill post tomorrow and let everyone know what happens. Thanks for the info.

4. my1stharley

my1stharley Banned

K. I just got back from a ride and the problem was partially solved. It doesnt do it no where near as much as it was, but there is still a hicup everyonce in a while. It still doesnt seem like all the power is there that should be tho. Ill prolly wait til winter, then do the jetting. Im gonna say a #46 low speed jet and a 190 high speed jet will do the trick. Thanks for all the help.