free website stats program 1995 Sportster Speedo not working...any ideas? | Harley Davidson Forums

1995 Sportster Speedo not working...any ideas?

waitn4frnd

Hi,
The speedo on my bike is not working. I was driving from Michigan to Kentucky and it started by just not reading after the bike was going...maybe a mile at most. That lasted about 5 times before it quit reading all together. The Odometer light comes on but the numbers are all crazy...just looks like symbols or whatever. I cleaned the sensor when we arrived in Kentucky...didn't help. I know it's like $273 for a new speedo from harley with miles transfered...but that does not enclude the price of the work to replace it. If it was just a plug, that really wouldn't be a problem but this speedo is hard-wired...blah! I could probably do the work...I just wondered if I had exhausted all other possiblities before spending 300 bucks and cutting wires! I should note that I bought the bike with very low miles...and it still has only like 5k on it...so I don't know that matters? If this post sounds silly, I'm not trying to be, I'm just a girl!

Back