1995 sportster rejet

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by tiggerr, Aug 16, 2009.

1. tiggerr

tiggerr Member

I did a rejet on my 95 sportster. I have installed Screaming eagle pipes. I have been going nuts with the final adjustment. when I opened the carb up it had a #48 slow jet and a 170 main jet. Here is what I did. I drilled 1/8 hold in the slide. cleaned the snot out of the carb, replaced the main jet with a 175 main. Started the bike up and tried to adjust the fuel mixture. I was told 10 different things by ten different people on how to do the adjustment. I just can't seem to get it right. when the bike is warmed up, and I start off, the bike knock's, I think it is bad gas. I have accel plugs installed and everything seems fine. the fuel mixture screw is out 3 1/2. should I set it in more and raise the idle screw. is that how you do it. idle screw in and less on the fuel mixture. please someone help. I am ready to give up.

2. vpats

vpats Member

48 seems a little on the larger side, however, go to the self-help sections on this forum. There is a boat load of information to be found.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  4. tiggerr

tiggerr Member

thanks I will decrease the pilot jet and increase the main jet

well I got it right. 48 pilot jet, 180 main jet. 2 1/2 turns on the fuel mixture and 2 turns on the idle adjustment. runs great and no pings no hesitation smooth through out

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Still a #48? :20:

6. tiggerr

tiggerr Member

Yes still the 48. when I first opened the carb it had a 48 and a 170. I changed the 170 to 180 and it runs good. at least for now. I noticed an improvement in the midrange curcuit as well as high range. the 48 that was in it looked as it was in there since day one. any suggestions. thanks

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you feel energetic, try a #46 in there.:D

8. tiggerr

tiggerr Member

will do.

I found the problem. It's not the jets at all. It is the two rubber seals on the air intake that connects to the heads. they are bad and need to be replaced. once that's done I will go to a 45. 48 is way to big. thank's for the advice

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

Intake seals. I figured there had to be some reason that you got away with the 48 low jet. More air mixing with the extra fuel.

Glad you found it.

10. tiggerr

tiggerr Member

Thanks for sticking with the problem. I changed them today. really easy to do it yourself. did the 46 and put it all together and boom runs like a top. 1 min choke and then off and it runs, yes it runs and runs strong.