free website stats program 1994 sportster fuel line replacement for left hand petcock, where to run line? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1994 sportster fuel line replacement for left hand petcock, where to run line?

I did a quick search on that part number it seems to be a custom chrome part the large tank i put on my 94 was also from custom chrome it took a lot of time and effort to get it flat and smooth
You will also need to pressure test and line the tank do those bits first prior to doing the outside of it

Brian

Big ugly sigh... I had planned on scuffing up the tank with scotch pads and a drill prior to powder coating it clear... (I fancy myself a bit of an artist) but the tank needs to be sort of smooth to pull that together...

Why do these MFG's not do standard things like line and pressure test tanks they sell?

Perhaps things have changed in the last few years but i doubt it you may find that the outside of the tank has been oiled to stop it from rusting paint powder coat etc may not grip too well to the oiled surface so a good scrubbing with a degreaser may be a good idea
and perhaps best to use a tank liner repair kit rather than just a lining kit as the repair kit will have chemicals to clean and prep the inner surface for the liner to hold
You may find that you have built some good arm muscles by the time you have that tank fitted

Brian

Perhaps things have changed in the last few years but i doubt it you may find that the outside of the tank has been oiled to stop it from rusting paint powder coat etc may not grip too well to the oiled surface so a good scrubbing with a degreaser may be a good idea
and perhaps best to use a tank liner repair kit rather than just a lining kit as the repair kit will have chemicals to clean and prep the inner surface for the liner to hold
You may find that you have built some good arm muscles by the time you have that tank fitted

Brian

I just looked up the Kreem kit.. Suppose I am just so used to automotive applications where almost everything is bolt and go.

Let me just say i thought it would be simple but i read the instructions that came with the tank it did say to pressure test then line it which i did do then i used a fair bit of filler and got it pretty straight then painted it 6 months later i stripped the paint off and re painted it then before i painted it for the 3rd time i re did the liner and bought a ready to fit tank
But after scrubbing with degreaser after pulling off all the filler re doing it all it looks great in its own corner of the shed i sold the 94 sportster 3 years ago however it is a handy spare for the 93
If you get it all correct the first time it should be good for years

Brian

Let me just say i thought it would be simple but i read the instructions that came with the tank it did say to pressure test then line it which i did do then i used a fair bit of filler and got it pretty straight then painted it 6 months later i stripped the paint off and re painted it then before i painted it for the 3rd time i re did the liner and bought a ready to fit tank
But after scrubbing with degreaser after pulling off all the filler re doing it all it looks great in its own corner of the shed i sold the 94 sportster 3 years ago however it is a handy spare for the 93
If you get it all correct the first time it should be good for years

Brian

Keep the original tank, avoid stretches of road that have more than 100 miles between fuel stops, and buy a soft tail for longer trips... Got it.

It was a wee bit frustrating at the time and i have improved my skills at painting having had plenty of practise
i get about 150 miles + from my sportster and about the same for the softail and have happily gone from north Scotland to Germany on both bikes and perhaps a wee bit easier on the softail
If i had the stock peanut tank on the sportster i would really have to think about where to stop for fuel on the trip through the highlands

Brian

It was a wee bit frustrating at the time and i have improved my skills at painting having had plenty of practise
i get about 150 miles + from my sportster and about the same for the softail and have happily gone from north Scotland to Germany on both bikes and perhaps a wee bit easier on the softail
If i had the stock peanut tank on the sportster i would really have to think about where to stop for fuel on the trip through the highlands

Brian

smoothness of the tank doesnt bother me, like i said, was planning on using a power tool to create a pattern in the metal and clear coat. but lining and all that business... maybe just sell the tank i committed to and replace the petcock and fittings for now. hopefully find an OEM sportster 3.5 gallon used somewhere.

Sorry i am not trying to put you off the project just trying to let you know that it is perhaps not so simple as it could be

Brian

Oh no, its completely cool. I want to keep it close to how he had it. Sentiment and all. Maybe just upgrading the petcock, hose, carb fitting adding an intake and tuning will be good for me. It just won't be a long distance bike. I don't even like the shape of this tank, just thought it would be easier to go Oem style for a quick upgrade. I like the mustang tanks more.

Dads bike will be used for more local runs, and ill start saving for a more long distance runner to do photo trips with. Already have a single seat I'm throwing on, and getting rid of sissy bar.

Once I get started ill do a build thread.
WAP.gif

Back