free website stats program 1994 lifter noise | Harley Davidson Forums

1994 lifter noise

I have a 1994 Springer and have a few questions, hopefully someone can help. I had the cam changed to the largest Andrews cam you can install with out going to solid lifters. The vibration at mid and high speed was to much for me because of back problems. I had my stock cam reinstalled and have noticed a whining noise coming from the cam area and pushrods. Is it possible the stock cam is worn and the noise is the slop? The bike runs great plenty of power but you can hear the noise, I have also noticed mid and high speed vibration while riding that travels through the bike. Thank you for assisstance,

krkoon

I have a 1994 Springer and have a few questions, hopefully someone can help. I had the cam changed to the largest Andrews cam you can install with out going to solid lifters. The vibration at mid and high speed was to much for me because of back problems. I had my stock cam reinstalled and have noticed a whining noise coming from the cam area and pushrods. Is it possible the stock cam is worn and the noise is the slop? The bike runs great plenty of power but you can hear the noise, I have also noticed mid and high speed vibration while riding that travels through the bike. Thank you for assisstance,

krkoon
is this a B motor or balanced motor if so the balance shaft could be out of time

not sure if they used a B motor back then

thank you for response I know it is a 1340 evo where would I find if B motor or balanced? serial number? I can call local harley and see what they have in listing. If it is the balance shaft what is involved in checking time? thx Krkoon

That's not a "B" motor. They are only in the twin cam softails.

It sounds as if the cam gears are causing the noise here. It may be necessary to pull it apart again and check things out.

thanks glider i wanst sure if the b motors where just the twin cam or the evos too

Thank you glider, talking to Mountain Hog about checking cam timing. Any info on front wheel vibration? Has any body used Ride -On? just like slime but ride on is supposed to balance your tires at high speed. Thank you Krkoon

Balance your tires the conventional way with weights for the best job and the longest mileage from the tire.
All those preparations in the tire will cause you problems down the road. Most dealers will not change a tire if you used any of those preparations in them.

krkoon

Did you whoever changed the cam to the Andrews change the cam bearing? That model year, and a couple on either side of it, had a non torrington bearing installed. Those non torrington bearings, from the factory, had a habit of failing....

Let's hope they changed the bearing to a torrington. The whine could be from the cam because they changed the bearing. Mine whines. I had an Andrews EV 13 install by Carl's Speed Shop in Daytona some years ago. They change the cam bearing to a torrington. It may have been whining from when they installed the Andrews cam, and you just never heard it. It should be ok, if they changed the bearing.

The vibration probably was from the cam or the pushrods. I'm also assuming they put adjustable pushrod in the bike. Even though you went to something that did not need solids, if was probably close enough that it could have used them.

EDIT:

Your motor is solid mounted. So the normal vibration will be amplified with the larger cam.

Last edited:
Back