free website stats program 1994 flstf | Harley Davidson Forums

1994 flstf

Dan9

If the clutch cable is too tight can it cause problems in the clutch itself, like its in a bind and makes a bad noise? I've checked at the clutch thru the inspection plate and it looked normal but there is shavings in the lube, that's not good. Can anybody suggest something to me?

Welcome. Can you give us a little more info. By binding do you mean it will not disengage? Is the noise a rattle?

If the clutch cable is too tight can it cause problems in the clutch itself, like its in a bind and makes a bad noise? I've checked at the clutch thru the inspection plate and it looked normal but there is shavings in the lube, that's not good. Can anybody suggest something to me?

Welcome to The Forum, Harley Davidson Community Have a look here first, change your cable and clean out the primary and use a quality lube

No everything shifts fine. When riding at no given time sounds like something is in a bind like a spring and then it releases and sounds like something broke but it keeps going fine until it does it again.

No everything shifts fine. When riding at no given time sounds like something is in a bind like a spring and then it releases and sounds like something broke but it keeps going fine until it does it again.

If your cable is in a bind the clutch free travel will be affected and sooner than later your clutch will slip and or not release, shifting will be gone.

I can't determine what's in a bind. Just that the clutch cable is too tight. Is that my problem and can I adjust the cable itself without going into the clutch?

Are you sure it's the clutch? Have you checked the primary chain adjustment? It could be your chain is loose and the metal you are seeing is from it rubbing the inner primary.

It may be worth doing a cable adjustment. Here a link to one of the forum documents on clutch adjustment.

EZ Clutch Adjustment

With shaving in the lube you need to change it and it would be worth a peek inside. Sounds like you need to remove the primary cover to get a real good look at what's going on.

By tight do you mean tuff to pull?

Last edited:
I can't determine what's in a bind. Just that the clutch cable is too tight. Is that my problem and can I adjust the cable itself without going into the clutch?

Is this a stock cable with stock handle bars and the original cable?

Hey Jack... Maybe no lube in cable causing it to hang up on release? He may be getting enough engagement but with enough play in the plates that it's rattling? Or a warped plate?

Hey Jack... Maybe no lube in cable causing it to hang up on release? He may be getting enough engagement but with enough play in the plates that it's rattling? Or a warped plate?

That would do it also:s

Back