free website stats program 1993 Sportster Won't start after storage | Harley Davidson Forums

1993 Sportster Won't start after storage

757CC

1993 883 Sporster was in storage due to military deployment. Working on getting it back on the road. Completed some routine maintance. Engine turns over but will not start. Will start briefly if you spray carb cleaner in carb until it burns off. Seems like a fuel issue but can't pin it down. Any thoughts?

What I have done so far...

Drained and replaced engine oil, tranny oil,
New HD battery - lights are good, horn works
new spark plugs
verified spark
Cleaned carb
Verified fuel is getting from petcock to carb
Inspected tank
Fresh gas
Cleaned fuel filter

Check your float level, also look between the cyliders on ls of bike you should see a screw
Keihin%2032CVK%20Service%20015.jpg
see if lots of gas runs out

You stated that you cleaned carb. Is that inclusive of removing carb disassembling and completely cleaning and overhauling????? If not you may find that the ethanol in fuel has destroyed internals of carb. Don't ask how I know that........:eek:

Thanks for the replies. I did completely disassemble and clean the carb. It was pretty dirty but looks good now.

When you look in the throat of the carb and twist the throttle, do you see a squirt of gas (if it's a cv carb, you will have to manually lift the slide). If not the accelerator pump is probably gummed up. It is only a dime size piece of rubber set into a casting in the float bow. Also did you remove and look through the jets, and blow thru the carb passages?

I am gonna check it out this evening. I did not check the accelerator pump but will tonight. Thanks in advance!

Once the carb is tested and all ok to start the bike open fuel tap pull the choke knob out fully snap the throttle open 3 or 4 times (accelerator pump will squirt fuel into carb) press starter button if engine fails to start after 2 or 3 revolutions stop switch off snap throttle open 2 or 3 times and try to start again it may start and run for a very short period and shut off use same procedure to start again till engine runs without assistance
Let engine warm up and ride
That procedure always works with my 93 sportster also pre heating the cylinders with a gas torch or hot air gun may also assist a cold reluctant engine to start provided sufficient fuel and spark are provided

Brian

Looks like the issue is the accelerator pump as I am not seeing any fuel when I twist the throttle. When I looked at the accelerator pump it was very dirty. I am going to pick up a carb rebuild kit tomorrow and hopefully that will be the fix! Thanks for all the replies and I will update once I get the rebuild kit installed and back together.

Back in the day we would boil the carb body on the stove top, dont get caught by moma doing this,Be VERY careful installing the diaphragm, you get 1 shot at doing it right, now would be a good time to remove the plug under the body to expose the air mixture screw
http://cv-performance.com/harley-cv-carburetor-tuning-issues
mixture_screw.jpg
drill a 1/16th inch hole in the cap do not go any deeper than 3/16th, install a screw and wiggle the plug off. You should not have to go more than 2 - 2 1/2 turns out to get the highest RPM on a warm engine, if you do you will need a bigger main jet

Back