free website stats program 1992 whining transmission 3rd & 4th gear | Harley Davidson Forums

1992 whining transmission 3rd & 4th gear

just bought a 92 sporty with 6000 original miles. the thing sounds good engine wise, but when i'm riding and shifting into 3rd & 4th gear i get this whining noise. shifts ok but the noise is driving me nuts. checked the primary chain, all looks good. makes the noise accelerating and decelarating mostly in 3rd n 4th. i know these older harleys are natorious for strange noises, but is this normal? was looking to flip this bike , but dont want to sell it with problems! comments appreciated!

Have you checked your fluid level and alignment of rear chain?

fluid level ok, going to go out and check the rear chain. good suggestion , but if it were the chain, wouldnt it make the noise all the time?

fluid level ok, going to go out and check the rear chain. good suggestion , but if it were the chain, wouldnt it make the noise all the time?

Could be just more noticeable in those 2 gears. How much play in the primary chain did you have?

It could be that the pitch of the whine changes with different speeds and the audible pitch under some conditions can be out of the range of human hearing

Brian
WAP.gif

half " play in the primary. just pulled the drain plug, not a spec of shavings.put vtwin 20/50 mobile 1 tranny fluid in it, sounds a little better.

Tight primary chain will whine once bike gets hot and the sprocket and clutch drum expand with heat always set primary chain tension when bike is cold and at the tightest point on the chain

Brian
WAP.gif

Back