free website stats program 1992 Sporster Oil Leak at Base | Harley Davidson Forums

1992 Sporster Oil Leak at Base

stm1258

Hi All,

I have a 92 Sportster. The head gaskets were replaced in the spring and now I am losing oil at the base. Plus my compression is down since a piece of the gasket is gone. How hard is it to replace these yourself? Anyone have a good manual they can recommend?

Thanks

Can't beat the HD factory manual. The heads have to come off to do the gaskets. If you aren't too mechanically inclined I would have someone help or do the job for you.

The thing i found worst on this one was scraping the old base gasket off
both the clymer and hd service manuals cover this procedure equally well
the task can be done with the engine in the frame there is a bit more room on the front cylinder
do a bit of research on replacement base gaskets as there are better ones than the stock

Brian

my 91 use to leak at the lower pushrod tube oring ( lookd like a base gasket leak ) the stock ones never seem to fit right .
its a pretty strait forward engine to work on though , afew special tools and a good book should get you through it if you have some mechanical knowledge

Like Glider said and if you do tackle the job yourself be careful scraping the old gaskets try not to gouge the deck of the motor I like Permatex spray gasket remover a couple of apps and let it soak good luck, Jack

Back